The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
Tilt

3 speed floor shift conversion

I'm looking into changing an 86 C10 from 3 speed column shift to a floor shift. It seems to be pretty straight foward, but would like to get some input from anyone who has done this before. Which shifter did you go with and what problems did you run into? Is there a template somewhere out there for the placement of the hole to cut in the floor?
Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: 3 speed floor shift conversion

The first question you'll need to answer is what tranny?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

I have the mr gasket shifter in my 84. It's junk. The gates are way too loose and you can move the shifter out of gear without actually shifting the transmission. No amount of adjustment will fix it and my shifter isn't worn out.

The hurst mastershift is the way to go. It's way more expensive but worth it. The installation kit for our trucks is no longer available, but I got one on Ebay. The installation kits that are still available can also be modified to work.

The hole in the floor is straightforward once the shifter is mounted. Mounting the shifter to the trans is a little more complex with all the different mounting holes. There will be several positions on the trans that the shifter can go and almost get each gear, but probably only one that will work properly. Some trial and error (or good pictures from someone with the same trans and shifter) will be needed.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
blazer2007

I could never find a good quality one,mine would bind and would have to crawl under and realign it every now and then,I had 2 and they just were too sloppy and I know the column shift wasn,t much better so I switched to a auto.A car 4 speed would be nice,at least you can get a nice quality shifter.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Tilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
The first question you'll need to answer is what tranny?
It's the Saginaw 3 speed.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
geezer#99

You got choices!
Mastershift is about 180 bucks. Install kit about 100 more.
Mr. Gasket can be had for 40 on ebay. But it needs a fix to cure the sloppy shifting. A 2 buck drill bit fixes it.
Either one requires some eyeballin' for the shifter hole. Mock up the shifter and drill a hole from the bottom, expand the hole enough to get the shifter to fit.
Both shifters will require some mods to the shifter rods too!
Old 07-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
Tilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
You got choices!
Mastershift is about 180 bucks. Install kit about 100 more.
Mr. Gasket can be had for 40 on ebay. But it needs a fix to cure the sloppy shifting. A 2 buck drill bit fixes it.
Either one requires some eyeballin' for the shifter hole. Mock up the shifter and drill a hole from the bottom, expand the hole enough to get the shifter to fit.
Both shifters will require some mods to the shifter rods too!
Care to elaborate on the $2 drill bit fix? Does it fix it fix it, or does it just fix it to where it is tolerable?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
Care to elaborate on the $2 drill bit fix? Does it fix it fix it, or does it just fix it to where it is tolerable?
It fixes it so the shifter stays tight as long as you own it.
I've had 6 of them over 40 years. After learning the drill bit trick on the first one I've never had a problem.
The design of the shifter is the problem. It uses a centre thru bolt that goes thru the complete body of the shifter and thru the bracket to mount the shifter. It's supposed to be held tight by a nut and lock washer. Problem is the nut backs off, the shifter gets sloppy and your tranny can get stuck in first and you need to get underneath, kick it in nuetral and line up the shifter again.
The cure is to install the shifter onto the bracket, tighten the shifter up with the nut just enough to allow smooth tight movement of the shifter arms and then drill a 1/8 inch hole thru the nut and the bolt and put a cotter key thru the hole. It'll stay tight forever.
When I've done new ones I drill thru one side of the nut, bolt the shifter to the bracket, snug it all up and then finish drilling thru the bolt and the other side of the nut. I do it in my bench vise.
IIRC the Mr. Gasket #7667A is the one you need. It has an 18 inch tall shifter handle for a truck bench.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
Tilt

Thank you geezer, I may just try this. If worst comes to worst, I'm only out about $50.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
geezer#99

Just remember, it's a 3 speed and no matter which shifter you use you can't speed shift it. You won't have short throws like some 4 speeds do.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
Tilt

It should work nicely for a cruizer for now. If or when I swap out the V6 to a V8, I'll change the trans then. Now I just need to find a floor shift steering column to replace the busted column that's in the truck now.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #12
tucsonjwt

How about check the local automotive recycling centers for a used shifter and linkage. Whole used transmissions are about $100 out here, floor shifters are about $20.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
tucsonjwt

My last 3 on the tree was a 1960 Chevy Carryall (Suburban) which had the habit of popping out of 3rd gear into neutral when driving down the road. When that was combined with the extra big hood flying open at random times when driving down the road, it was quite a lively experience.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
Tilt

I plan on hitting some of the junk yards when I get a chance. Between work and taking the family on vacation, i just won't have time for the next couple of weeks. I still haven't even gotten the truck yet, just tring to find everything beforehand, so I can get it driveable when I bring it home.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #15
tucsonjwt

As has been suggested, an conversion to a modern 5 speed out of a junkyard might be a good investment. There should be some salvage value in that 3 spd, unless you really like it. I just saw a 69 C20 at the local pick and pull with a 6 cyl and granny 4 speed intact - not much of an improvement over what you have but at least it is all there.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #16
Tilt

What ever I get for now I would like to be pretty much a low budget straight drop in replacement. It will be somewhat temporary. I will do more of a restoration later on when time and money allow.