The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2014, 02:08 AM   #1
Yerboogieman

A little light wheeling and Hiking

It's been awhile since I've posted anything, so here's a little update. She's doing well. In the middle of tuning the carb and considering a Holley truck avenger or Edelbrock offroad kit. I put a CB "fixwhataintbroke" gave me but the speaker doesn't work or something. I found the Peterbilt antenna in my garage when I bought the house, rewired the wireless foglights, and put in some thicker gauge wire on the alternator, regulator and battery.

If I had my way, I wouldn't have the driving lights right there (previous owner), but they do look okay to me.
Attached Images

1971 Chevy Suburban 4x4 Build Thread
Yerboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
Cobalt964ruf

Re: A little light wheeling and Hiking

nice truck
1999 k3500 crewcab dually 4x4 496ci 4l85e bw4401 9.25ifs 14bff g80 6" lift 37 bfg's
Cobalt964ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
highwinger

I'd be curious how well other burbs handle 4-wheeling rough terrain because mine shakes like a wet dog going over bumps in paved roads.

Mine has the turn signals behind the grill which I like the look. That'd be a great place for your lights plus you could probably go a little bigger on the lights, too.

Good looking burb you have. Nice to see them being used & enjoyed.
highwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
vectorit
What?

I used to love taking my burb out on off road trips! They are great to get out into the back roads in for sure, but being that I am all by myself I do not go where I can't walk out. Always best to go wheeling with a buddy, and another truck in case things get hairy.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Tinkermc

lookin gooood, I agree in the buddy system. I don,t like walking a lot.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Yerboogieman

Buddy system all the way. But it seems like my friends with trucks are either busy or always broken down, or 2WD only. Actually, up in that area, my friend got stuck in his 92 Chevy 4x4 and asked me to pull him out with my Ranger lol

Old 07-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
I used to love taking my burb out on off road trips! They are great to get out into the back roads in for sure, but being that I am all by myself I do not go where I can't walk out. Always best to go wheeling with a buddy, and another truck in case things get hairy.
Yep I learned that the hard way. I rolled mine and had to hike out. That was a long 14 miles. It was not the brightest things I've done. To make matters worse is that it spent the night upside down. It was a Chevy powered CJ7, it fired right up after I pulled the plugs and cranked it to blow the oil out of the cylinders.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
Yerboogieman

Yep, my dad took her a few years ago and the fuel pump gave out. Had to hike out about 6 miles in 80 degree weather. Luckily there was someone at the Ranger station to let him use the phone. Don't get service out past Wilkeson lol. I just realized you live in Auburn.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:14 AM   #9
vectorit
What?

I learned my lesson with a 1977 K10 SWB back in the 1990's...
Running the back roads, and drove over a berm to go down an old logging road in search of fire wood for camp. Drove a few miles down that road and loaded up a bunch of wood in the back, and on the way out I took another berm a little too fast and the truck came down hard on the front end. Knocked the battery out of it's tray, and it shorted out on the frame at the same time knocked out the alternator and HEI ignition. Yep, dead in the water...

Hiked out onto the "main dirt road", and started walking towards camp. Luckily I met up with a few teenagers that lived at one of the logging camps, they were driving a backhoe and stopped to see why I was walking...

Long story short. They towed me back to camp, but only after caving in my tail gate. Got a ride into town from another camper, and the town Napa store only had the HEI module. Managed to limp out of the mountains before the battery died, and had to call my parents for a credit card to buy a new battery from the Texaco station. Barely made it the 375 mile trip home.

Ever since then, I only wheel with other trucks and carry tools/spare parts.
Trouble now, these days many off road trucks can't rescue a 3/4 ton Suburban...

So I play nice with my old Suburban these days.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #10
Yerboogieman

No kidding? Similar thing happened to me. Rock crawling, came down off a rock, slammed down, knocked the battery out and hit a tree and messed up my fender at the same time. Battery leaked and I couldn't start it. Pissed me off. I was with my girlfriend and got a ride out of there in a Toyota that happened to come up behind us. People down the road had some jumper cables, and the guy was nice enough to crawl back up the trail and give us a jump. After three tries, he said if it doesn't start he's taking off. I hop in, floor it, crank it and it starts. I rode the throttle and brake the rest of the way down to keep it from stalling out.

I carry tools, but only so much you can do with a dead battery.

Now that I work at O' Reilly's, I bought a 1200 CCA battery lol.

I take it easy on my 'burb after that fiasco too.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
Yerboogieman

Here is a before picture, when the fuel pump went out on my dad, and he basically let me do what I wanted with it.

Since this picture, it has gotten new shocks, tie rods, 3" blocks in the rear to compensate for sag, CB, stereo, fog lights, full new exhaust with giant glasspacks instead of the blown out off-brand magnaflow type mufflers, a rebuilt transmission with a high stall torque converter and a shift kit, new tires, new fuel tank and sending unit (plastic tank conversion kit for a truck, go figure), wiring job redone and cleaned up and thicker gauge, relays installed, tow package, electronic voltage regulator, bigger 10inch air cleaner, respray on the top, POR 15 where it counts, and of course; a new Harley Davidson sticker to replace the worn and fading one.

Last edited by Yerboogieman; 07-15-2014 at 01:41 PM.