The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
c3006

Quadrajet Choke Vacuum Help Please !

OK I am dealing with a 87 ton that came with a 454 but was robbed when i got it. I found a roached out 82 burb with a recently replaced 454 and turbo 400 to be a donor and pulled it and put it in the truck. The 87 had electric choke and the 82 was heat choke thats tubes were in bad shape so i decided to go with electric and pulled my carb and cleaned it good then drilled out the rivets and taped the holes 10/24 and installed a electric choke unit out of a 85 carb I had.
Motor fired right up and ran great but my idiot light that has the oil pressure /choke symbol is staying lit all the time. the oil pressure is not hooked up and is going to a hard line gauge and I think that light was staying on very dimly before and I am wondering if it worked in conjunction with the choke and that is why it is staying on brightly lit now. I am also wondering about the way I have my vacuum lines as I admit I was winging it when I routed them. I have my dizzy hooked up in front of the carb by the fuel filter and the secondary choke pull off teed into the front nipple running with the anti backfire plunger thingy. I have my tranny hooked to the nipple low on the back of the carb.
The good thing is its running like a scaird banshee and starts and isles good the light being my main issue. Any help appreciated thx clint
c3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
c3006

Re: Quadrajet Choke Vacuum Help Please !

Well I kept searching and reading till I found a thread covering the fact that the choke has to power through the oil pressure sending unit to keep it from heating the choke coil when the engine was not running but the switch was on so I will tee in and replace the oil pressure sending unit tomorow.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
c3006

Re: Quadrajet Choke Vacuum Help Please !

Hooked up the oil pressure light today and light went out. All is good.