The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
davwilli

Mufflers

So what are some of you guys running.

I currently have straight pipes from the headers running out the back with chrome tips. I am assuming dallas law enforcement will frown on this. I love the sound but need to be realistic and start thinking options to tame the beast.

Last pipes I put on a vehicle was a 97 dodge ram, and they was 12 inch glass pipes.

So what is out there and any recommendations so it still sounds like a truck running a v8.
davwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Mufflers

I could tell you about all the different mufflers but you won't know what they sound like. Everyone wants something different. What do you want? I go for different sounds from different trucks. If I didn't know what I wanted I'd start listening to vehicles and ask the owners what they have if I liked their sound

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
dzwestwindsor

I also wanted my truck to be quieter so I swapped out old glass packs and got Flowtech Raptors. They were one of the cheapest from Summit, $25 a piece, so I decided to try them. They're definitely quieter, but it lost a lot of the low gurgling muscle tone the glass packs had. It still has a rumble, just sounds a little weaker and more flat. Good for muffling, bad for aggressive sound.
dzwestwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
sboris

This will probably do you no good, as your running headers, stock manifolds here. But anyway mine are stainless Magnaflows, stock motor, 2 1/4 exhaust.
I think they sound great. Sort of a Deep Hushed sound lol. Got that?lol.
So probably now you know what you don't want
Agree with Special K, need to hear them first hand maybe
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
joeydurango

+1 for the Magnaflows. Dual, Trailblazer SS manifolds, 2.5" pipe. Sounds sweet without making the neighbors angry...
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #6
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzwestwindsor View Post
I also wanted my truck to be quieter so I swapped out old glass packs and got Flowtech Raptors. They were one of the cheapest from Summit, $25 a piece, so I decided to try them. They're definitely quieter, but it lost a lot of the low gurgling muscle tone the glass packs had. It still has a rumble, just sounds a little weaker and more flat. Good for muffling, bad for aggressive sound.
Thats what I have. I actually put resonators behind mine and my pipes turn out in front of the rear tires. Just sounds like an old truck driving until I get on it, then it sounds good. My cam gives it a lopey idle though, and that gives it away.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #7
Cercious

I've got headers, and as far as I know the rest is pretty much stock. Haven't done any digging around in the motor to identify anything yet. I'm running 24" glass packs that dump out at the rear corners of my bed. Was a little quiet when I got those put on about 10 years ago, but I wouldn't trade the current sound for anything in the world. Quiet enough at idle, and only gets loud to let you know it's doing work. Not like a lot of trucks I see where they make a lot of noise, going absolutely nowhere.
Cercious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #8
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by davwilli View Post
So what are some of you guys running.

I currently have straight pipes from the headers running out the back with chrome tips. I am assuming dallas law enforcement will frown on this. I love the sound but need to be realistic and start thinking options to tame the beast.

Last pipes I put on a vehicle was a 97 dodge ram, and they was 12 inch glass pipes.

So what is out there and any recommendations so it still sounds like a truck running a v8.
I don't know what they do in Texas but here in Arizona if you are driving a vehicle with illegal equipment (and your exhaust would be in that category) they cancel your registration and tag until you fix it. The inspection fee gets added to the re-registration fee and it is not a cheap problem to have. I run headers, short magnaflow stainless mufflers with no x pipe. The truck is legal but does not sound stock!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #9
wreckedchevy

I'm running 12" glass packs straight out the back and it's really obnoxious with a mildly built 305. I only operate it during normal business hours otherwise I'm sure the neighbors would be pissed.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
davwilli

Thanks for the advice guys. Will shop around but agree. The straight pipes have got to go. Love the sound but cant afford tickets. And trust me...3 speed on column the pipes are hard to keep quite..
davwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #11
BlackedOut67shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by davwilli View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. Will shop around but agree. The straight pipes have got to go. Love the sound but cant afford tickets. And trust me...3 speed on column the pipes are hard to keep quite..
I hear ya im running red hots out the side and going 65, having an h or an x pipe helps with sound control a bit, takes the pop out of the exhaust
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote