The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 AM   #1
watahyahknow

fitting an trailblazer motor and transmission in an old truck

ok heres my hairbrained idea :

i have a 1979 shortbed squarebody that originally came with a line 6 engine
the registraition still saying L6 and to stay out of trouble with the law i want to take out the 305 / th350 V8 thats in it now and replace it with a straight 6 cilinder 4.2 liter out of a 2002 trailblazer
doing this prevents me from having to go to the dutch DMV and possibly loose my vintage car registration or perhabs even the complete registration on that truck making it illegal for me to drive it

now the plan is to buy a complete trailblazer donor vehicle and basicly change over the engine transmission wiring ecu and some of the interiour intoo the chassis and body of the old pickup

now the ecu will prolly be going nuts about the fact it cant find the original trailblazer dash the abs signal the ignitionkey signal and the airbags amongst other things
does anyone know a company that can take out those things out of the software of the ecu so the engine and trans will work without those signals ?
or sell an ecu that will work out of the box with this setup

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Edahall

Re: fitting an trailblazer motor and transmission in an old truck

Have you thought about other inline 6's or does it have to be one out of a Trailblazer? The Trailblazer engine is not known for low rpm torque or for good fuel economy. That said, my Suburban used to have a 350 and now its got an inline 6 / Cummins 6BT. It's more powerful than the 350 and gets double the fuel economy. If you have to stay with a gas engine, how about the Ford 300 inline 6?
-Gear Vendors Overdrive - HX35 Holset Turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears -2" Lift
Edahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
bnoon

The trailblazer inline 6 is actually a very performance oriented engine when done right. I've seen a couple done up with turbos even. One of the guys for SteedSpeed has one turboed in his old Chevy/GMC pickup (I think late 40's). Several videos on youtube of turboed ones too.

For tuning, I would suggest a mail order tune and buy HP Tuners. You can turn all of that stuff off yourself, and modify your own harness, but learning tuning can have quite a steep learning curve if it's your first time.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
D13

Join Inliners and talk to EFI_DIY. He does trailblazer drivetrain swaps. Mostly running factory PCM (powertrain control module) with reprogramming. No harder than putting in an LS motor, but you'll have to make your own mounts.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
watahyahknow

whell that and you need to make youre own oilpan it seems
i found two companies making rearsump oilpans but it seems they dont make them no more

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 07-19-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
MalibuSSwagon

usually people make a rear sump pan by splicing a Colorado I5 pan with the trailblazer pan.

How easy is it to find a trailblazer over there? Here I trip over them in junkyards.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
watahyahknow

there available , usually in germany in complete vehicles
seen them for around 1300 euro (broken reardiff)
http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat...eatures=EXPORT
thats a LOT cheaper than the ones with an ls1 or simulair v8
asked around for a 5.3 lq4 with 4l60e wiring and ecu at a junkyard here that specialized in recent american iron and got a quote of 3500 euro
i heared those can be bought in the states for less than half that amount
the newer v8's are kindah rare here , necause of the fuel costs probably

has anyone any idea if its eazy to convert the 4l65e thats under a trailblazer to a rearwheeldrive , not sure if i need to give it a tongsolectomy through the rectum if it comes to replacing the endshaft and housing

Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
donut

You could look a little further. To my limited knowledge the domestic Trailblazer is rwd. (got an '03), export models are beyond me. It is with the I-6 and 4l60e.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
watahyahknow

been finding out too that there 2 and 4 wheel drive versions made
2wd definetely has my prefference as the trans would be a straight swap

trying to find anything about the i5 to i6 cut and weld conversion , i want to find out how they cut the pans so they fit

Old 07-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
Join Inliners and talk to EFI_DIY. He does trailblazer drivetrain swaps. Mostly running factory PCM (powertrain control module) with reprogramming. No harder than putting in an LS motor, but you'll have to make your own mounts.
I would say, if you are serious about the swap, join inliners and talk to this guy.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=77518
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #11
watahyahknow

i actually found that guy before and send him an email for that pan
from wat i heared on other fora is that he needed to find another foundry as they first kept him in the dark for a while and then admitted they blew out his only mould for the pan , there a few guys still waiting on there ordered pan

found out a little more about the L5 to L6 pan adaption , turns out they use two L5 pans and cut/shut those together
prolly means welding it mounted to the L6 engine to get the boltholes to line up but it seems eazier than the other option of slicing 2 inches above the flange weld on a plate and use a sump from a fiat 500 bolted to that
the L5 pans should be simpler to execute and could be done with some verry precise cutting and sanding the second idea require machining

update : i just got word back from emtech , the rearsump pan is available and cost 625 dollar depending on the price of the L5 pans and the cost of welding them up and such i might go that route

found another topic on a guy actualy putting one in a jimmy thats on this website and learning a lot
https://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/la...ck=1#903969894

Last edited by watahyahknow; 07-19-2014 at 10:10 PM.