The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

Talking Anyone with intimate knowledge of alternators, please clicky.

Why the heck would the current output fluctuate? How do I remove the rotor from the case? Looks like there a little retainer, but how the heck do I get a wrench on the bolts? Is this all I need to convert an internal regulator alt to 105 amps? If I do this upgrade will that effect my factory amp gauge?

Oh, and whats the big deal about one-wire alternators?

Last edited by Cat Fuzz; 01-12-2004 at 08:23 PM.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:34 PM   #2
1972C10
Account Suspended

Jc whitney sells a similar kit to convert to 105 amp called the iceberg or something pretty good kit Goes in pretty easy not too difficult one wire alternators are ok i guess i just hook up in the internal how there supposed to be one wire to the charge post and one to ign keyswitch thats not the same circuit as the distributor.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
walker

Well, I don't know how much that kit is, but a new int reg alt is about $30 from any parts store. You could probobly find the directions for a conversion with a search on the BB. I have not done this conversion, but have done some 6v to 12v conversions and have found the delco 10si alt to be a little more responsive at lower rpm. The single wire alt needs higher rpm's to self excite, and since I was doing lower rpm engines I opted for the 10si.
As far as getting the rotor out, again I have only done the three wire alt, it seems that when I removed the pulley and split the case everything just comes out. Hope this helps some, but it has been some time since I rebuilt one.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:18 PM   #4
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

Well, I called a local auto electric specialty shop and the guy told me that there is probably something wrong with my external regulated alt that is causing the current fluctuations. He also said that Schucks bench tester wouldn't be able to detect this defect.

I also found out that pretty much all you need to upgrade the output of an alternator is to replace the stator. Easy enough, but these guys want to sell me complete rebuilt units. So I guess I may order the kit. Seems cheaper than buying a upgraded rebuilt.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote