The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Barbecue

Smile 6 Weeks away from owning a 1986 C10 Silverado.

Hi, everyone!

First of all, thank you so much for having me as a part of this wonderful group.

In early September, I will be purchasing my uncle's 1986 C10 Silverado. I have not yet seen the vehicle, as it is a day's trip away; however, my father has. I've attached a couple of pictures. Pardon the grime and average photography.

I do have a couple of questions for the group, if you'd be so kind as to have a look, but first, I'll outline what I know about the truck thus far:

- The body has approx 120,000 km on it.
- There is some rust in the inner wheel wells. No biggie, I've handled lots of body rust before.
- The truck came originally with a 305.
- At some point in the truck's life, somebody swapped in a 350.
- The 350 has approximately 40,000 km on it and has an "RV" camshaft.
- Transmission is a turbo 400
- Rear end is a posi-track with 4.11 gears.
- The paint seems to be in decent shape from the pictures, despite a fair amount of grime built up due to sitting for about 10 months.

As you can imagine, I'm incredibly excited to get my hands on this truck. I have a lot of experience resorting classic Mercedes but have always been around plenty of american muscle and am looking forward to getting my hands on some. Various members of my family own 1960's Oldsmobiles, a '66 Mustang, a '57 Bel Air, among others. My goals are to have a reliable daily driver, whilst at the same time doing some relatively minor street-level customizing to the truck. I would like to do this as financially responsibly as possible. Thus, I'll be opting out of such things as fresh paint in favor of a cut polish etc. I know that the 3 speed tranny, combined with the 4.11 rear end will be a bit harsh on my fuel economy, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm not concerned about having a smile on my face when I drive.

Here are a couple of questions, if you'd be so kind as to give them consideration:

First, I will be spending a few days giving the truck some much deserved maintenance; replacing all fluids etc. My first performance-based project will be to replace the exhaust system. I've researched options (with the great information hosted on this site) and will likely be going with 2 1/4" dual, with side exits before the rear wheels. I'll likely do this with my dad on his hoist. I would like to grab myself some used headers. What should I keep my eyes open for? Will any long-tube 350 headers fit in this truck?

Second, I would like to replace the rear bumper with a roll-pan. I've ordered a catalogue from LMC Truck as they seem to have a few. Is LMC a good company to deal with? I'm in British Columbia, can any Canadians inform me of successes and challenges in dealing with LMC (shipping rates)?

Third, and perhaps most generally, what are some things which I should look for when I first acquire the truck? My dad's got quite a lot of experience dealing with q-jets, so, assuming that's its current carb, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Are there any commonly fatigued parts which I should keep my eyes on?

Thank you so much, everyone. I look forward to being a part of this community!

Cheers,

Barbecue
Attached Images

Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
TrybalRage

Re: 6 Weeks away from owning a 1986 C10 Silverado.

Congrats! I recently picked up my first C10, a 1985 model with the 305.

One thing for me was the brakes! Everything else was in decent shape but the rear wheel cylinders were leaking, the rotors and drums were warped, etc. I ended up replacing almost everything (drums, shoes, cylinders, calipers, rotors, etc) as a precautionary measure. So make sure to check yours out.

Other older cars I've owned, especially when I lived in the northeast US - rust in brake lines, worn out ball joints/bushings, shocks, etc.

My advice would be to forget about customizing things like roll pans and exhaust for now - focus on getting all systems in tip-top shape (engine, trans, brakes, suspension) and then you can focus on the fun stuff.

Take it from personal experience, you can blow a lot of money in a hurry on the non-essentials and then find that you need something serious to drive safely.
TrybalRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Water pump fuel pump and all ignition components. Belts hoses coolant and oil.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
50seven

Congrats BBQ

Nice looking ride.

I would not go too crazy on the exhaust right away if you are thinking of lowering the truck it may be in the way of a lowering job. As said previously brakelines, brake fluid flush, brakes cylinder, calipers......sounds like a good plan.
Get all the lights working properly.

Lose the mudflaps and the canopy.
Keep those rally's!

Have fun!
50seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Barbecue

Hey, all.

Thanks so much for the prompt and detailed replies.

Certainly, my first priority for a few weeks will be maintenance and getting her safe and reliable. Just did a brake job (replaced calipers and lines) on my old Mercedes, so at least I'll still be mentally in the zone for that.

As you guys have suggested, making her tip top as she is (while losing the canopy and flaps, of course), is #1 priority; however, it is nice to be thinking of a vision for her in advance. 50seven, I don't think I'll be lowering it. Perhaps a 2" drop in the front, but that would be it. In that event, do you think long tube headers would be fine?

Cheers!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
50seven

Long tube headers won't be a problem if they are for a C10 application. I have never tried to put car headers in a truck I always order new? I wouldn't try to find used. Cheap headers are around $200 but don't last very long so I would not even consider putting on used ones.

Maybe some used ceramics....maybe?

Lordco or KMS for your parts or JB. Pennisula restoration for your trim pieces, moldings, etc.
50seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
Barbecue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50seven View Post
Long tube headers won't be a problem if they are for a C10 application. I have never tried to put car headers in a truck I always order new? I wouldn't try to find used. Cheap headers are around $200 but don't last very long so I would not even consider putting on used ones.

Maybe some used ceramics....maybe?

Lordco or KMS for your parts or JB. Pennisula restoration for your trim pieces, moldings, etc.
Thanks, 50seven.

Good advice on the used ones. When it comes time, I'll pop down to JB. I've always been impressed with their customer service. Pretty sure my dad has an old Edelbrock intake (for 350) kicking around, I'll have to check that out as well.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:13 AM   #8
geezer#99

Heddman elite ceramic coated mid length. Fit super, clear everything. These are going on 13 years now.
Attached Images

geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Barbecue

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Heddman elite ceramic coated mid length. Fit super, clear everything. These are going on 13 years now.
That's what I'm talking about! Those look great; nice to hear of their longevity. I appreciate the pictures as well as it gives me a good sense of the fit. Did you have to purchase different, 90 degree angled end, plug wires when you got the headers for clearance?

Thank you sir.

PS, Nice to see a fellow Islander! I'm in Saanich
Old 07-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

I think a nice sport bumper would look nice. Stock height and rallys with some nice rubber will give it a good stance.
1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post
That's what I'm talking about! Those look great; nice to hear of their longevity. I appreciate the pictures as well as it gives me a good sense of the fit. Did you have to purchase different, 90 degree angled end, plug wires when you got the headers for clearance?
Truck came that way from the po. I have the bills showing when the headers were installed.
Your plug wires likely are already with 90 degree boots.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Welcome,looks solid,always nice to keep a family treasure going.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
Barbecue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsfine69 View Post
I think a nice sport bumper would look nice. Stock height and rallys with some nice rubber will give it a good stance.
You know, I think I will just stick with the stock height. Definitely going with the rallys. I'll have to grab some nice tires as well.

As luck would have it, there's a guy online selling a 1980 at the moment with an extremely rusty bed. He's got the bed half dismantled and I was able to buy the fibreglass rear roll pan from him for just $50... it begins.

D