The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Benjamin

1972 K10 - Steering Column Shaft needs to be replaced

I mentioned this in a question on somebody else's thread, but I figured I would start my own thread. After replacing the turn signal switch, when I tightened down the nut that holds the steering wheel on, I stripped the threads on the steering shaft (above the splined section). I would like to replace this shaft, but I can't figure out what kind of replacement part I need. It's a 1972 K10, floor shift, 4-speed manual. previous owner replaced steering column with a column from a column shift automatic truck.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2014, 04:27 AM   #2
mechanicalman

Re: 1972 K10 - Steering Column Shaft needs to be replaced

Carefully put it back together, make real sure you have the steering wheel where you want it, and weld it. I can think of no other way except to replace the column, I assume this one was working for you except the turn signal switch.

I mean, what's the worse could happen, you have to replace the column next time? That's where you are now, right? You could take your time and find one for a floor shift, and consider putting a later model one with the key on the column. They do make the wiring adaptors to use the ignition switch on the 73-87 column. You could probably find a tilt from a 73-87. Black goes with yellow OK plus matches your gauge panel.

Not sure if you could match the door keys to the ignition switch but maybe. You could remove the old ignition key/switch and install another 12V receptacle. You and your significant other could recharge your phones at the same time while you have a nice Sunday drive.

Wiring adaptor Part number 500257 $8.00.

http://www.americanautowire.com/
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Benjamin

Also, it is manual steering, but I plan to convert to crossover power steering in the near future, which requires a 2wd steering box. Will this affect what column I should install? I would rather not make a band-aid repair, but I would prefer to replace the shaft at this point than tear out the old column to replace with a new column.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
mechanicalman

That shaft goes clear through the column. You would have to "tear out" (remove) the column anyway, and even after you have done that it's a major pain to remove the shaft as it's not designed to be removed, although if you bend enough metal you can get it out. And one would have to sacrifice a column to get the shaft out.

I'm sure a column will work for p/s or non, but you might have to do something with intermediate shaft length, though likely you won't but if you do it's easy. Hit the link and scroll down for description of the shaft. Don't modify it without knowing how it works as it's a safety item designed to collapse in a front end collision. Ask first, many here will help you.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/186

I'd recommend putting it back together as I described and weld an old junker steering wheel on it. Then, when you can afford it, get a column. That would be a good time to put on the power gear and pump. Determine if you have a "short" (original) style water pump of if someone has installed a "long" (later years) water pump to get the correct p/s pump brackets. I'd also recommend getting the pump, hoses, and gear off the same truck to avoid mis-matches on the flow valve and hoses. Then get appropriate brackets.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Lattimer

I've had those threads strip before. I took a file to it to get them down a little smaller, then rethreaded with a die one size smaller. New nut and washer and it worked fine.

column does not need to change to swap to power steering. Shaft might need to be changed between the column and the box.

Otherwise, I'd say its time for a new column. Several people sell refurbished units, you can look on the parts board for a use done for sale, or you can buy a very nice replacement made by ididit or Flaming River. I bought a Flaming River unit on the parts board and I am very happy with it.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
JointTech

Quote:
and even after you have done that it's a major pain to remove the shaft as it's not designed to be removed, although if you bend enough metal you can get it out. And one would have to sacrifice a column to get the shaft out.
mine slid right out... detach it from the shaft above the rag joint and it should pull out I would think. THeres nothing attaching that shaft to the inside of the column.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=630848
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
dmartin1

i actually asked a question reguarding this shaft recently and figured it out. detach it from down below,from the arm that connects to the rag joint and pull it on up through. it will come out, and clear by just a bit(few inches) from the cab. put your new one through and reassemble. i just did this with my column bolted it (i installed my restored column and forgot to put steering shaft in)

it is easy.slide old one out and new one in.(after unbolted)
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
dmartin1

for what its worth, my column is bolted in, with turn signal switch housing and shift lever housing on steering wheel removed just as yours is pictured, and can pull it out through cab way.
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote