The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Howard Hilscher
Registered User

Location: longview tx
hubcaps center color 1966 ?

Would anyone know the paint color or code for the center of the dog dish hubcaps on my 1966 c10 truck, orange/ red in color, thanks
Howard Hilscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
kieth
Registered User

kieth's Avatar

Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

I have some original hubcaps they look orange now but were probably red when new.....
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Howard Hilscher
Registered User

Location: longview tx
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
I have some original hubcaps they look orange now but were probably red when new.....
Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by chevy_mike; 07-10-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Howard Hilscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
1963c-10
Registered User

1963c-10's Avatar

Location: fayetteville nc
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

Im still trying to get an answer from Dupont on this...for several months now. Its believed to be Cardinal red. Its one of those OEM mysteries that we've been trying to figure out. I have several NOS 63 emblems and its the color that matches best.
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdet...?gmcode=WE5106

check out starting in post 108 : http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=529038&page=5
__________________
1963 Short bed step side SBW 427 big block and borg warner T-16 HD 3 speed manual
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=519869
1963 Short bed fleetside BBW 348 1st gen big block w/Powerglide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
oem4me
Registered User

Location: Burbank CA
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

I had also at first assumed the color was red faded to orange, but have since acquired a few NOS caps which show absolutely that the color started out closer to orange than red. Sorry, but I don't have a paint code or spray bomb match.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
1963c-10
Registered User

1963c-10's Avatar

Location: fayetteville nc
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

Ive sent correspondence to DuPont hoping they could help sort it out, but haven't heard back yet. I'll send a follow up and see it I can get a response.
__________________
Old 03-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
glide
Registered User

Location: washington courthouse, ohio
Thumbs up Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

Could the Omaha orange that is one of their body colors. The caps I run seem to be the same as my body color.
glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
WhippinSaw
Registered User

WhippinSaw's Avatar

Location: Lisle Illinois
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hilscher View Post
Would anyone know the paint color or code for the center of the dog dish hubcaps on my 1966 c10 truck, orange/ red in color, thanks
I used "chevy orange-red" off the shelf at autozone. I got some un-faded caps and can confirm what oem4me said about the cap looking more orange than red then fading to an orange over time. Here's a picture of a hubcap I painted. The color also matched the reproduction C10 badge in the picture. Never found an official answer on this, maybe someone else can confirm
Attached Images

__________________
1963 Fleet Side cab, Converted Fleet Side Barden bumper, Step Side in the middle.
WhippinSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
rideblue00
Senior Member

rideblue00's Avatar

Location: Lambertville, MI
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

i have 2 sets of 66 originals that look more orange than red. earlier year trucks all looked more red that i have seen(60-63).
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
Howard Hilscher
Registered User

Location: longview tx
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glide View Post
Could the Omaha orange that is one of their body colors. The caps I run seem to be the same as my body color.
Thanks, that might be the right color, the best so far, Howard
Howard Hilscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #11
T and S
Registered User

T and S's Avatar

Location: Oak Ridge, Mo.
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

A parts store that mixes paint may be able to analyze it and match it for you.
T and S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
Howard Hilscher
Registered User

Location: longview tx
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippinSaw View Post
I used "chevy orange-red" off the shelf at autozone. I got some un-faded caps and can confirm what oem4me said about the cap looking more orange than red then fading to an orange over time. Here's a picture of a hubcap I painted. The color also matched the reproduction C10 badge in the picture. Never found an official answer on this, maybe someone else can confirm
I looked it up on the chevy color chart, looks like the best red/orange paint code is 524
Howard Hilscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #13
Howard Hilscher
Registered User

Location: longview tx
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glide View Post
Could the Omaha orange that is one of their body colors. The caps I run seem to be the same as my body color.
I also looked up a red/orange chevy color paint code 524, looks vey very close. thanks
Howard Hilscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
crowdaddy
Registered User

crowdaddy's Avatar

Location: lawton mi
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hilscher View Post
I also looked up a red/orange chevy color paint code 524, looks vey very close. thanks
I just found this for those attempting to get the original red orange color in the center of 1966 hubcaps.
crowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
WhippinSaw
Registered User

WhippinSaw's Avatar

Location: Lisle Illinois
Re: hubcaps center color 1966 ?

Sent a message to General Motors Heritage Center
They don't have a specific answer so I am going to take a hubcap I have that has not seen the sun to the paint shop and have them match it.

I have a 1963 Chevy c10 pickup and wanted to repaint the bow ties on the hubcaps and the badges, I was wondering if anyone knew the factory correct color to paint these emblems
Thanks

From: gmhc <gmhc@gm.com>
Date: July 21, 2014 at 6:07:30 AM CDT

Subject: RE: Color of chevy bow ties

We do not have a color code. They were medium red.

Jim Vehko
General Motors Heritage Center
6400 Center Drive
Sterling Heights, MI 48312
(586) 276-0694
Jim.vehko@gm.com
1963 Fleet Side cab, Converted Fleet Side Barden bumper, Step Side in the middle.
WhippinSaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmarks