The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
wilkin250r

Battery cable routing

My engine compartment has been hacked to death by the previous owner. It was obvious he was just building a truck to beat to death, as cheaply as he possibly could.

My cables are shot, and they're obviously not stock, so I'm getting ready to replace them. Where/how do you have your cables routed?

The positive will obviously go to the starter, with some sort of lead routed off to the fuse panel. Where do you guys have your negative cables mounted?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
Nin92

Re: Battery cable routing

My negative cable is attached to the engine block behind the alternator. Also have one going from the block to the frame. Never can have too many grounds
Nin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #3
donut

I think mine's run to the top of the alternator bracket. Small ground to the core support near the battery. Believe there is one braided ground from firewall to the back of the passenger side head. I may have one from frame to block, but odds are I put it there.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
wilkin250r

And my negative lead is currently attached to my alternator bracket, also.

Anybody know what the stock location is?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
MountainGoat1966

I have seen almost all top alternator brackets (with the adjuster slot) have a threaded hole for the ground connection. That is the most common OEM location.
Sometimes the threads get stripped out and you need to put a nut on the bottom side and tighten it well.
And as others have said, you can never have too many ground connections, especially since the body is insulated from the frame by rubber mounts.

"Off the grid and on the seven day weekend plan"

"One person cannot know everything, but between all of us, there isn't much we don't know."
MountainGoat1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
donut

Most that I've seen are bolted to the top of the alternator bracket. Various engine pics on this site seem to confirm this.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
hatzie

You could take it as an opportunity to reroute the starter wires in a safer location.
I was installing a 6.5L diesel engine so I got rid of the wires running down the bellhousing in that steel tube next to the exhaust. I routed longer replacements for those three wires to a universal starter solenoid next to the battery tray.
The starter now has a single 4ga SGX wire along the oil pan just like the original did in vinyl covered P-clamps. It runs from the universal starter solenoid to the starter batt terminal. It only has juice when the universal solenoid is tripped so I added a 14ga loop from the batt terminal on the starter solenoid to the S terminal so it engages as soon as there's juice from the universal solenoid.
The new wires run neatly along the firewall and inner fender in split poly loom up away from the exhaust manifold instead of right behind the headpipe.

The Universal solenoid has four wires on three studs.
  1. Main battery power stud.
    a. 4ga RED SGX battery power from the RH battery + side post.
    b. Main power feed for the cab that usually runs from the starter to the firewall junction block. (14ga fusible link wire that's pulse welded to 10ga Red SXL wire with adhesive heat shrink cover for the welded splice and both ring terminals)
  2. 4ga SGX High amp feed to the starter only energized when ignition switch is in START.
  3. 12ga longer replacement SXL Purple "Start" wire from firewall bulkhead plug.
The RH to LH battery cable runs neatly along the radiator mount in split poly.
The RH & LH SGX black ground cables run to a stud welded on the frame and a heavy copper braided ground strap runs from those frame studs to the block and a 12ga black SXL wire runs from that stud to the radiator support ground stacks on both sides. There's another ground strap from the bottom of the cab to the frame.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote