The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
IFD5287

New Here, my first rebuild....EVER

Hey all,

Just found this site, and just found this beauty. My neighbor had it and he was going to redo it for his son, but his son didnt want it and he ran out of time and money. So, I bought it off of him. I have a multitude of questions to ask, but will take my time asking them. I have never rebuilt anything, and I know nothing about engines. Nothing.
When I bought it, the only way it ran was to run a hose in to a gas can straight into the fuel pump. I limped it over to my yard and went to work. I learned how to change the fuel pump, and learned about the fuel sending unit as well. I followed the fuel lines along the frame and learned how they worked. So far it has a new fuel pump, new fuel lines, and she runs like a champ. I think I've done fairly well for the lack of mechanical knowledge I have . I know I have tons more work to do, but I hope to do it all on my own. Wish me luck!!!

Stats: 1967, 283, 4-speed on the floor
Attached Images

Last edited by kcsa75; 07-24-2014 at 06:18 PM.
IFD5287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: New Here, my first rebuild....EVER

Welcome to the site. You will have all of the support you need here for what ever issues you will run across. My first question to you is how old is the gas in the tank? You will probably want to start right away with pulling the fuel tank and making sure it is clean inside (no rust). Anything loose in there will give you problems in the future.

Also clean or replace all of the fuel lines from the tank right to the carb. New fuel filter and even a carb rebuild if needed.

Most importantly, have fun and learn as much as you can.

That is a nice looking truck to start with by the way

Take care,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
BRL

First thing I would do is to replace all the fluids.
...engine, transmission, differential ect.

Enjoy your new toy!

Welcome to the forum!
BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
kcsa75

Welcome! You're among friends here. Looks like you have a great start!

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
duckdude

welcome. a lot of good info on this site. nice truck as well.
duckdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
oldno7

Do yourself a favor and keep everything from your truck when I got mine I tore into it threw stuff away gave stuff away and just plain lost stuff I wish I had some of those things now take your time and enjoy and welcome from illinois, oldno7
Old 07-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Tinkermc

Welcome to the Forum, nice lookin truck.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Blue GMC

Man that is a clean looking truck from this neck of the woods. Looks like a great start and welcome. What are the overall plans for it
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
texasld

Congrats on the truck. It's really cool that you are jumping in head first and learning. I learn things every day on this site. Subscription was money we'll spend!!!
2010 Harley Street Glide

Check Out My Build!: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617981
texasld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:03 AM   #10
Cercious

Welcome to the forums. Also, that's a mighty fine looking truck to start from. Here's to hoping you find the mechanical work as much fun as I do.
Cercious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
IFD5287

Hey all, thanks for the welcome! My initial plans are to get it running and make sure it runs correctly. I have a 5 year old son and would like to build a nice hot rod for him before he turns 16. I have all these plans in my head, and by looking at some pictures of trucks on here, I get alot of nice ideas. For now though, I'll probably drive her around town for errands and things. Oh, I forgot to mention, she only has 73,000 miles on the original motor. I do have one question tho, the fuel filter running from the pump to the carb, should that be there? I replaced it, but when I look at new fuel lines I dont see one.
IFD5287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
1972BlueC20

it didn't come from the factory with an inline fuel filter between the pump and carb, but it's always a good idea to add one there. Most everyone does. The only filter from the factory is a tiny little paper one inside where the steel fuel line goes into the carb. I would replace that one too as it can be completely gunked up and or collapsed. Good luck on your build!
1972BlueC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #13
c10Dream'n

i'm diggin the red interior
c10Dream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
BADAZ chevy guy

Welcome from Utah. I notice it's got an EFI distributor. Check the voltage and make sure you're getting enough power. The power that ran the old coil would have been run through a resistor wire to drop the voltage.
Lovin' the 'Vise-grip' window crank. lol

700R4 build thread. >>> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post6740236
BADAZ chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #15
70LonghornCST

Hi and welcome to the site! Great looking project you have there.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #16
BADAZ chevy guy

Brain fart. lol I meant HEI not EFI distributor

Old 07-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #17
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADAZ chevy guy View Post
Welcome from Utah. I notice it's got an EFI distributor. Check the voltage and make sure you're getting enough power. The power that ran the old coil would have been run through a resistor wire to drop the voltage.
Lovin' the 'Vise-grip' window crank. lol
Being no expert here...I've read that, IF the ignition switch is in the dash, you don't have to change the wire, IF the ign switch is in column, change wire to 10 gauge wire. I ran my 67 Bel Air w/ HEI for about 175,000 miles, no problems leaving resistor wire in.

One thing to do?check? is to make sure you have ground wire(s) from engine block to fire wall, can make a big difference. All those old chevies (cars and pickups) had ground straps from rear valve cover bolts to firewall, and got thrown out, first time valve cover gaskets got changed...

That carb would have had a bronze (rock) filter in carb. They worked, but if much crap got into them, the bypass spring would allow crap to get by. I'd keep the in line filter, but am paranoid about some of the plastic inline filters. The filter in picture is an old Fram brand, they were O.K. I prefer a metal filter. Be careful if you decide to check for the in carb filter, those threads strip real easy. You do not need the in carb filter, when keeping the in line filter..

Make sure you use gas w/o ethanol if possible, ethanol in carbs can be a problem.

Changing fluids is a good thing. Next is repacking front wheel bearings. If you change the rear end oil, you'll have to remove the cover. Pay attention to the oil, make sure it has no glitter in it. It would be nice to check/replace the rear axle bearings, and seals. Not a difficult job, but first time isn't easy.

Suck the old brake fluid out of master cyl, fill w/ new dot 3 fluid. Drive it around some carefully, make some stops where the brake pedal needs to be pushed hard, this can be done at even 2-3 mph. This will test the hydraulics to make sure you have no leaks. Look at inside bottoms (from under truck)of drums to see...and ck master cyl level.

I'm amazed the overall great condition!!!
Even w/ low miles. Obvious the seat was re-done, looks good!!!

The tell tale sign of these pickups is the condition the the rocker panels (curved panel below doors). If they have no rust in them, that's very unusual.

When I see a 67-72 w/ good rockers, I know they're not original!!! LOL

Can't wait to hear/see more. A plain pickup, but man you got a nice one, I like simple things...

Last edited by 68Gold/white; 07-25-2014 at 06:29 PM.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #18
BADAZ chevy guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Being no expert here...I've read that, IF the ignition switch is in the dash, you don't have to change the wire, IF the ign switch is in column, change wire to 10 gauge wire.
I hadn't heard that before, but it sounds reasonable.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #19
hugger6933

Ok, the switch location deal pertains to cars 68 and before were in the dash 69 and later were in the column. hope that helps some. Great looking start on a project, nice truck. Welcome to you from Arkansas. I would make sure the brakes and suspension are safe then enjoy!! Ask all the questions you want there are no stupid questions, your in a safe place and if you don't know how else do you learn except by asking? I would tell you to go to the FAQ section of the home portion of this site in the upper left hand corner of the main page. Go to the 67-72 section and then also go to tech tips for the 67-72 and find many cheap and EASY and sometimes FREE ideas for the upgrading or enhancing of these trucks. Enjoy. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #20
LSUMurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
Do yourself a favor and keep everything from your truck when I got mine I tore into it threw stuff away gave stuff away and just plain lost stuff I wish I had some of those things now take your time and enjoy and welcome from illinois, oldno7
I second this. There's a lot I wish I hadn't done or gotten rid of.

Also, welcome.

If your life is a joke, it appears death will be your punchline.
LSUMurse is offline   Reply With Quote