The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
RIDE-RED 350r

Rear wheel brake cylinder push rods??

I feel like a complete moron for this...

I pulled my axle to rebuild it and somewhere on the trip on the wagon behind the ATV between the truck and the garage (about 200') 3 of my 4 brake cylinder push rods fell out. I have almost zero chance of finding them. I was having a bad time with the whole project and just plain forgot to pull them out before moving the axle..

Now this didn't seem like a big deal...until I started searching online for new replacements... I can't find them anywhere!! I have spent the last 2 hours googling and searching unsuccessfully.

Can anyone point me to a solution?

Thank you
Old 07-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
MountainGoat1966

Re: Rear wheel brake cylinder push rods??

Have you checked NAPA ??

"Off the grid and on the seven day weekend plan"

"One person cannot know everything, but between all of us, there isn't much we don't know."
MountainGoat1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
RIDE-RED 350r

I have online and they don't have them. As with Jegs, Summit, Advance Auto, LMC, Carquest, and a few others.

Wife is going to town tomorrow to check personally.... I'm starting to get worried.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I had the same problem on my 72 el camino Napa sells kits that have all the hardware in them... the thing is you have to ask them to look up the kit I believe it was dorman

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

This is ironic...as I just lost one of mine doing a rebuild on my '75. There is a brake and hardware company here in Minneapolis, they sell them. I am going there sometime this week, hopefully tomorrow. I can get three for you while I am there, you simply have to pay what I am charged for 3, plus shipping to you. Post a picture of yours, and provide its length.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
RIDE-RED 350r

Well, that would be great but I think I tossed the one that remained thinking it would be no big deal to get 4 new ones! LOL!

The wife is at work now and was supposed to hit a couple of shops in town, one of which the owner of will know where to get them if they can be had. Still waiting to here from here with my fingers crossed...

Who knew such a stupid little nothing part would be such a trick??? That's been my luck lately

I will see if I can find the last one and get back to you ASAP.

I appreciate the kind offer. And if I cannot find it before you go, could you maybe give me the contact info the the shop?? Maybe I can order some myself if I am unable to find the one that I didn't (initially) lose...

Last edited by RIDE-RED 350r; 07-21-2014 at 05:31 PM.
RIDE-RED 350r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

Going tomorrow after work. Post your truck brake specs...do you have the big rear drums, or the small ones (2"shoes)...year of truck too. if it's the same as mine, I'll pick up 4 for you (since I have to compare mine to their in stock bin).
Old 07-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
RIDE-RED 350r

I really appreciate it.

Truck is a '78 K-10 with GM 12 bolt axle.

Large brakes. 6 lug axle ends.

I can do paypal or postal money order. Just PM me your preferred method of payment and when you get a total I will send it to you. My zip is 13308. I will give you my address after you receive payment.

Thanks a million! You are saving my bacon on this! I have been pulling my hair out since last night trying to find these stupid things!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
bigblock73
yeller

Went to Minnesota Brake & Equipment...bought the only 2 they had in stock. They ordered more in, but it will be a week or so until they are in. Price was $4.04 each. If you are still interested, let me know, otherwise you can order them yourself, Raybestos, PN H1422K.

Let me know what you decide. Hop this helps some.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
RIDE-RED 350r

Jeff:

Well it seems as though it has worked out. My wife stopped at my local Napa and talked to the more experienced parts man and he hooked me up with 4 brand new pushrods!

Napa part# 80460

If the 2 you bought were for you, I am all set at this point. But if the 2 you got were for me and of no use to you I will still gladly pay you for them. Otherwise I thank you for the effort to help me out and also for providing the part numbers for future reference.

Please let me know the situation with the 2 you picked up.

Best regards,
Joe
Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #11
bigblock73
yeller

I only needed 1 of the 2...but no worries, I'll keep the other for a spare.

I am calling my local napa tomorrow to see if they have them...but to also inform the parts guy that helped me what he missed. Figure, it will help him learn and be a better resource for hard to find parts like this.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Just wanted to comment here that I think its great that both Jeff and RideRed350R are stand up guys and that the spirit of cooperation and mutual respect of fellow enthusiasts is so well demonstrated here. Its things like this that make me proud to be associate with this board and these kind of good people

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
RIDE-RED 350r

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Just wanted to comment here that I think its great that both Jeff and RideRed350R are stand up guys and that the spirit of cooperation and mutual respect of fellow enthusiasts is so well demonstrated here. Its things like this that make me proud to be associate with this board and these kind of good people
Thank you..

I consider it a privilege to be part of the few forums I frequent. People don't have to go out of there way to help a perfect stranger.. But I have found that to be exactly the case much more often than one might think.

Thanks again Jeff
Old 07-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Thanks Bob.

To me, this is what these online communities are all about...helping each other when and where we can.

Joe, I went to NAPA, these things are called "brake shoe links", or something like that...your part number helped them locate them. They were identical in size/shape to the Raybestos ones I purchased. I got my brakes back together a couple nights ago, worked like a charm.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #15
RIDE-RED 350r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Thanks Bob.

To me, this is what these online communities are all about...helping each other when and where we can.

Joe, I went to NAPA, these things are called "brake shoe links", or something like that...your part number helped them locate them. They were identical in size/shape to the Raybestos ones I purchased. I got my brakes back together a couple nights ago, worked like a charm.
That's terrific! I have not yet attempted to install mine yet as I begin rebuilding my diff tomorrow. This is my first diff rebuild and it would not be truthful if I said I am not a little nervous about it...

But thanks for posting up confirming they are correct.

Wonder if we can sticky this for future reference for others... I know I looked all over the web for 2 straight evenings after work and found goose-egg.. I couldn't believe how "non-existent" these pesky little buggers seem to be when you try to find them online.... They had to have made literally hundreds of millions of them..with many still out there on running trucks..