The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
rslove

I found my first truck and need guidance

Ill try to keep this short, but my first vehicle was a 72 C10 in the mid 90s. I sold it in college for spending money and I may have tracked it back down. I believe the individual is going to sell it back to me. I have been looking for this one truck for a few years now.

I have can do basic mechanic stuff but I have never worked on engines or done body work. He has it taken apart because he was about to restore it. I hope Im not over my head.

I guess its a hard question to answer but this project to big for a beginner to tackle or should I just spend the money and let him or someone else get me to a good starting point.

Im super excited I found this truck before it was parted out or left in a field to rot I just don't want to mess it up more and waste to much money with careless mistakes.

Around how much would a basic restore normally cost, I guess is what Im asking?
rslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
jocko

Re: I found my first truck and need guidance

Welcome to the site! An emotional attachment to the first truck is a given, however, as you are admittedly a beginner to the mechanical side of all this, keep in mind that the easiest way to learn to fix something/put it back together is to take it apart first. Buying your truck back in a disassembled state might prove quite a challenge. In fact, unless someone has both disassembled and assembled a few trucks prior, I'm not sure I'd recommend buying a disassembled truck. Hard to get over the attachment, I completely understand that (if only I could find my trusty (emphasis on the "rusty" part of it) hugger orange and white Cheyenne from High School... Ahhh..) But you will rapidly get attached to whatever your new project is, whether it's your first or your second truck. My recommendation would be to look for a complete and running project. There are many unknowns in the cost, all depends on what you start with and your level of expertise in rebuilding stuff. We can help a lot on here, but it's a personal decision, of course, to buy/pay/build on one's own.

Can you tell us a little more about the C10 in question? Now that you're older, you might be able to afford something a little different/higher optioned, etc etc - buy what you really want NOW, not necessarily for sentimental value. Having said all that - the sentimental thing is real, if you gotta have it, you gotta have it. Pics when you get a chance! Welcome!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
hugger6933

Ok this is like eating a elephant. How do you do that? One bite at a time! Now is a good time to find out what your limitations are, how far apart is the truck taken down? What do you think it would need to be not a restored truck again but a completed truck again, and are all the parts there to make that happen? Do you have any friends close by that are hardcore truck guys? Are do you need to make some say only about 95 miles away? Oh BTW welcome to the site from east AR. Once you hang out here a while you will find out one of my main things is helping people with their trucks. I have been in the car business/body shop deal rebuilding wrecks since 1987 and was fooling with cars/truck long before that. So I try to use my past in helping other not make some of the mistakes I have made and also tell them some great combos that I have proven [at least to myself] to work well together as far as cheap power makers and whatnot.Oh, and one more thing the people on here will tell you they love pics and will want some of the truck if you can get some of that truck. In my opinion there are no stupid questions if you don't ask then how do you learn? This is a safe place with all training and skill levels involved here so you will get lots of feedback. Let the questions begin. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
rslove

I will get pics as soon as I can. I haven't got to lay eyes on it though. It is with a guy who restores trucks. Body and engine are off and he said he was about to get the frame sandblasted. I know I could get another one in a more complete stage but I think I will regret it if I don't grab this one. He said its in good shape. He had already cut off the rocker panels for repair. He sounds like he knows what he is doing but I don't. I should know more on Monday. I may be jumping the gun but I have been looking for this one a while and figured it was rotting in a field somewhere.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
Tinkermc

Welcome to the Forum, we do believe in many pictures.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
SCHRUMGMC

Sweet, love to see photos
Old 07-27-2014, 02:27 AM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Go slow and do the important things first. Pace yourself and take your time. Plenty of help here. Yes we need pics.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
Blue GMC

It clear you want the truck back the question is going to be do you have the funds to get it finished now while it is torn appart and is in five million pieces. If it is already appart and in a resto shop they know where the pieces are and how to put it back together. I see two options have them stop the work and pay to have them put it back together of have them finish the work and paint but leave the drivetrain for you tocustomize. The one thing I would not do is take it home in boxes.

The number one rule on this site and it should be listed in the terms of use when you sign up is that pictures are required and expected everyone here is a truck junkie looking for a fix.
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
67swb72klb

if you are thinking of having the P/O do the work make sure you get it in writing if you don't it usually doesn't end well
also welcome to the site and good luck on the purchase!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
rslove

Ill get pics posted when I get some. Negotiations start tomorrow. I have to come up with a plan.