The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
brads71

One Family 71 C10- First Post

Been reading this site for three months and this is the first post. You guys have been a wealth of knowledge already for me in my journey to restore my 71 C10 LWB. This truck was purchased originally by my wife's grandpa, then handed down to my father in law....Now after 14 years of sitting in their back yard....it is mine.
I have already done a ton of work to it with help from posts on this forum. Lowered front and rear 3"/4", but think it needs to go down 2" more with a lowering block. I have repainted the interior white and added all new door panels and interior components from Brothers and CPP. I live close to both so it is very convenient. Surprised how many parts are available for these old trucks.
It has the original 307, and it was rebuilt right before my father in law passed 14 years ago. Going to spruce it up, with new manifold, carb, and HEI distributor, as well as new valve covers. Just want to make it a clean daily driver. Already replaced the heater core and cleaned 14 years of grease and oil off the engine compartment. I have also cut out the old rusted saddle tanks and need to take out the old aluminum side doors that were common in the gas crunch 1970's
I am a total newbie at this stuff, but some friends have told me just to jump in and do the work.....that is how you learn.
Here are some pictures....Let me know what you think......Most likely going with a flat lack hot rod style paint job with red/white pinstripes.....Love the old rally wheels but looking for the sombrero caps instead of the "police" type.
Attached Images

brads71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Big Kev-O

Re: One Family 71 C10- First Post

Thats a pretty nice truck for 14 years in a yard. Interior looks great! Love those wheels too. Lucky man, wish my wife had come with a truck.
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
brads71

I hear you....One of the only benefits of the in-laws! The wheels were trashed and full of grit and rust, bit I took some triple-0 steel wool and they polished out like new. The interior was pretty rough and the seat is just a cheap cover for now....will be getting it done right when the time comes. some of the other things I have done include.... New heater unit, new gauge bezel, all new visors and interior trim. New steering wheel....that was not fun....New rear bumper etc.....Thanks for the reply....
Old 07-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
tommys72

Nice truck...great job on the interior, looks great

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

From one Brad to another...
Welcome aboard, looks like a good start. Make sure all your mechanicals (brakes, steering, etc.) are taken care of before you get too carried away with cosmetics. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders so you'll be alright.
Brad
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
brads71

Thanks RenoKeene....I had the truck gone through at a local mechanic before I brought it home. Brakes and steering were all good. Had a little slop in the steering column which I fixed with a new bearing, and it is good to go. This truck has front disc and rear drum. I would like to put a booster on it eventually, but the brakes are really good enough for now. I also plan on replacing the driveshaft bushings, u-joints etc....There is a little slop in what my friend called the "carrier bearing". That one I will leave to the professionals at a driveshaft shop. More pictures here of my heater core replacement. I found out on this site that I had my heater hoses reversed....That is fixed now.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
brads71

Tommys72.....Thanks.....Did it all in the garage with about 10 cans of rustoleum.....Not the show quality job some people want but good for a daily driver. It actually came out really nice. Better than I expected. The white and black look clean. Now just need to figure out what color to do the exterior. I am actually thinking about Plasti Dip for the outside until I get ready for the real paint job. I like the ability to remove it when you want.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
tommys72

Do a white and black two tone plasti dip, itll look real good

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
brushbuggy

looks good
brushbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote