The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
wolffcub

Seat belts on a original bench seat setup

I got the 3 point kit from Brothers a while back and just installed it yesterday. I says that the buckle strap is to be bolted to the floor under and snaked up between the bottom seat cushion and the back seat cushion. After doing that the snaking of the belt makes it way too short and just 3/4 of the buckle shows in the seat crack.

Has anyone else installed this kit and have any suggestions or comments. It does not seem right that the belt is this short.
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Seat belts on a original bench seat setup

it would be easy to make a 10 gauge 'L' bracket to extend the buckle up 3 or 4 inches
pics of where you bolted the belt to the floor would help

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
wolffcub

Could build a bracket i guess but hate doing stuff like that if i don't have to. I just called the manufacture of the belts directly and they think possibly the wrong belt length was sent in the box if its as short as im describing it. They want me to measure and get back to them.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Russell Ashley

I bought mine from Juliano's and had the same problem when I installed them like they showed in the instruction video. I was able to make them useable by narrowing the support plate so that it would fit up into the hump that runs across the cab floor and bolting them there. I still don't like the length and should have called them when I found out there was a problem. I've had them for three years so don't expect that they would do anything about it now. When I bought my seat belts I purchased a lap belt set for the center of the seat and the buckle strap that came with it is about 6 inches longer than the ones that came with the three point belts.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
yossarian19

Look for seat belt extender in Ebay, or look at my build thread. The belts are too short on most kits and manufacturers can sell you the extenders pretty cheap.
Let me know what you come up with for a shoulder belt mount, I've got a '57 BRW cab and haven't figured anything clever out yet.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
wolffcub

I called the belt manufacture directly and they confirmed that the wrong length of belts were put in my box. The new ones they are shipping up are 5" longer.

The shoulder belt mount is a simple install with the kit hardware. Just a simple hole followed up with a backing plate behind the sheet metal and it done.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffcub View Post
I called the belt manufacture directly and they confirmed that the wrong length of belts were put in my box. The new ones they are shipping up are 5" longer.

The shoulder belt mount is a simple install with the kit hardware. Just a simple hole followed up with a backing plate behind the sheet metal and it done.
Is this on a TF or an AD? If TF, is it a small window? I ask because I've got a set of belts to install on my big window and it looks like there will be issues anchoring the shoulder belt properly.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
yossarian19

Heh, here I was hoping you'd have it figured out for me, Dan.
I think some folks are making tabs out of angle iron and bolting / welding to the B pillar.
You could sneak a welded nut & backing plate into the sheet metal, maybe, with the hole facing fore-aft. Then use a bit of angle iron, round off the corners & use that for your direction change. I'd hate to weld to the body, but it would be stronger / better that way.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
_Ogre

i looked at installing shoulder belts in my big back window truk
getting something in there that won't give you a false sense of security would be difficult
even a big ugly gusset that shows would tear out when you actually need it
the belt and bracket will be considerably wider than the b pillar either way

i rolled a small window 58 truck over when i was 16 the narrow A pillar collapsed,
not sure i'd want to be sitting up in a big back window roll over

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote