The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
hotrodharley

a c compressor on cummins

have a 84 c-30 crew cab that has a 5.8l cummins in it..truck had factory ac in it;;need pics and parts needed to put ac back in my truck;;be making long hauls to drag strip and could use ac in truck..also what do you do for vacume for the damper doors to work correct?pics be helpfull
hotrodharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
84chevyguyid

Re: a c compressor on cummins

Some have used 7.3 ford powerstroke electric vacuum pumps and a little reservoir for a vacuum source. Doesnt your cummins have the powersteering/vacuum pump combination on it?
Attached Images

84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
hotrodharley

has power steering but no vacume pump;;it isn't a DODGE cummins..it is out of a bluebird bus;;thatnks for pics and application for the electric vacume pump
Old 04-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
1774btcrew

This is the piece you need to make it the easiest to install A/C. This bracket will put the A/C compressor at the top of your motor. If you were to use the Dodge style brackets it would mount the A/C compressor at the bottom and you would have to cut your frame. We have done several of these conversions and we have found this bracket is the easiest install. It is a factory Cummins piece.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
hotrodharley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1774btcrew View Post
This is the piece you need to make it the easiest to install A/C. This bracket will put the A/C compressor at the top of your motor. If you were to use the Dodge style brackets it would mount the A/C compressor at the bottom and you would have to cut your frame. We have done several of these conversions and we have found this bracket is the easiest install. It is a factory Cummins piece.

Would you have the years and engines i'd need to hunt for on e-bay for these?also would you have pic of it installed on engine?what compressor do i use for these brackets?THANKS FOR YOUR HELP & FOR PICS
Old 04-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
84chevyguyid

This is the one I just ordered for mine. should be here in a week.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271426476087...84.m1439.l2649

I am using the same bracket as shown in your pic. I cut the curved water pipe section off and welded the straight piece back on my flange as the 90 degree ell doesnt work. If you dont have a truck wrecking yard close by might be easier to buy the new bracket from cummins. My motor was from a 93 ford chassis school bus and it used that bracket.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #7
hotrodharley

84chevyguyid;;do you have pics of your ac system installed in your truck yet?if so could you post here or e-mail them to darksidefuelaltered@gmail.com
Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
v30crewcab

the bluebird buses usually have at least part of that bracket for the a/c setup. do you have a pic of your alt bracket now?
I run the stock dodge brackets on mine, but you gotta notch the frame slightly. not a big deal to me, and I wrecked my truck pretty bad and didn't mess up that part of the frame so doesn't hurt anything. the setup shown in the pics would be easier to swap a/c compressor stuff though.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
84chevyguyid

My engine is out of a 93 ford chassis blue bird bus. mine had the bracket on the motor already. I am still building and dont have any of the a/c system installed on the body, just have the compressor mounted is all. I will post a pic of its current state later today.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
hotrodharley

ok i ended up making my own ac compressor mount..also i looked in front of my ps pump and i have vacume port there so i have vacume for my heat/ac doors now..got my hoses made up but i'm having a total mind block;;i kept the stock condensor/evapator and drier that came on my 84 c30;;i went with the sanden ac compressor;;i can't remember but does the discharge port on compressor go to drier or condensor????one one thing..got new sanden ac compressor..do they already come with oil in them or do i need to put oil in compressor???don't won't to burn up compressor from lake of compressor oil;;if compressor doesn't come with oil then how much do i need to put in it??