The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: rebuilt or built
rebuilt with a converter 5 71.43%
built and have to put the converter in later 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #1
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
regular TH400 or Built TH400

Ok here's my situation... I have a TH400 in my parts truck that I plan on putting in my 70 behind my mild 356 horse 355 out of my 71.

I can get a rebuilt TH400 for about 360.00 exchanged with a warranty.

My buddy is pushing me to have the one I have built by a race transmission builder. which I'm sure will cost much more than 360.00.

What would be the advantage of getting mine built other than if I ever put the big block in there I won't need to take the tranny to have it built then.

I might take this truck to the track a couple of times just to see what it will do and I don't plan on racing every car that pulls up next to me either.

I'm leaning on the rebuilt unless your opinions change mine. I will be able to afford a new torque converter with the rebuilt... the built one will eat up the converter budget. I already have to spend an extra 5 bills on the rear-end that wasn't planned for.
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
71Rat
ran out of money

i would say do a rebuilt 400 with converter. if i was closer i would offer to rebuild one cheaper. in our shop we have built a few 350's that handle big blocks with no problems, even with then going to the track every weekend. a 400 in my opinion is more for the towing and off-roading, and some big blocks. but if you are going to just be using it as a daily driver i would go with a stock rebuild with maybe a shift kit for fun when u go to the track. i hope this helps some, best of luck

Rat
Old 01-13-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

The TH400 is a stout (and heavy) transmission. I say you should have it rebuilt (if that's what it needs, about $250), install a good shift kit such as a TransGo (about $75 for the parts), and have the converter matched to your engine if necessary (about $200 for the parts).

If you really need a different converter, I'd do it while the tranny is out for the rebuild. It'd be much cheaper in the long run since you'll only have to drop the tranny once. Either way, I'd avoid any place that requires me to hand them my transmission in exchange for another one. Especially at that price.
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
That it?

anyone else want to comment?
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Build one, it'll be better in the long run. You won't have to do it again when you blow up the rebuilt stock one. Call Wes, he'll steer you in the right direction.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
stelth2002
Young Gun wth Fast Inline

Id say get the rebuilt one, just because you cant do it all at once. I wouldnt put a used converter that there could be something wrong with and curculate the oil into it and then into your really nice bulletproff tranny. A 400 is made to be pretty strong and i think you *should* be alright with a factory rebuild. If you have the time i would have your buddy rebuild it good and then later buy a converter. just my beans