The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
sfcharr

Need experts help

I have a 69 C10 with a rebuilt 250 6 cylinder. The truck runs great, but lately I've noticed steam coming from the exhaust manifold above the the exhaust pipe flange when I first start the truck. In a few seconds the steam burns off. Today it appears that I'm leaking coolant on the ground under the exhaust manfold. Any ideas how to rectify this situation short of removing the head and having it inspected? The truck is completely stock and runs great with the exception of this coolant leak. the radiator is down abouit 1/2 gallon but that is from approximately 2000 miles from driving this summer.

Any advice would be appreciated
sfcharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
70cst

Re: Need experts help

Here is a bump for you.

Ok mechanics ... how about a helping hand

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
Tinkermc

Check around the filler neck for the top hose.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
kneesnthebreeze

you may want to drain the oil and see if there is any coolant in it, would be another cheap and easy way to see if the gasket is damaged, if no coolant, just put the oil back in the motor and look for other possibilities but at least it wouldn't cost you anything but time. May also save you from destroying the motor. just a thought.
kneesnthebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
nzc10

Hey there I would pressure test the cooling system and take note of where the coolant is leaking from and go from there possible external weeping head gasket or maybe a frost plug
nzc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Zeke's Garage

Not sure if you've got a temp sender in the driver's side of the head, but it might be weeping a bit from there and running along the block to the exhaust. You can put in a bit of UV dye in the coolant and using a cheap UV flashlight see where the leak is coming from. The testing dye with a pressure test of the coolant system while everything is cool makes it easier to find small leaks like this.

Good luck with it.
Megasquirt Fuel Injection
T5 5 speed conversion
Ferric Oxide impregnation throughout
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
smoked68

Just went thru this with my 65 mustang, noticed white smoke out one side of exhaust. It was coolant. Pulled off intake and inspected. looked good but had to replace gaskets anyway then so before I did I thankfully checked head bolt torque and had a stripped bolt. A retap and new gaskets fixed the issue. Good luck. Sounds like head though if youre leaking no where else. good luck
4 bolt 383 Stroker,Weiand Super Charger, disc brakes, 9 inch, 391 gear, 20" Eagle wheels, muncie 4 speed/ Hurst shifter, 4/7 drop, Hedman midlengths, 3 inch exhaust w/ 2 chamber flows. 1966 Mustang with 306 roller, c-4, 9 inch Detroit locker rear. 1965 Fastback Mustang w/347 stroker, top loader 4spd, 9 inch detroit locker. 1966 Mustang coup, 306 roller, c4, 9 inch. 65 Cobra, 427, T6oo, 9inch, of course. First gen Hayabusa, airbox mod and running 2 exhaust cams.. Zoom Zoom Zoom
smoked68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
sfcharr

Thanks for all your help and advice. Sounds like a winter project. I'm going to drive it through he summer and enjoy it. I will monitor coolant and oil levels.
sfcharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
Wrenchbender Ret

You have 2 freeze plugs on the head behind the manifolds. They can leak & run down behind the manifolds.
Wrenchbender Ret is online now   Reply With Quote