The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

My drivers side window hates me

I swear my drivers side door hates me!!! It's always something going wrong with that door. a while back I put a new window regulator in it and had it working fine but a couple weeks ago one day it will only go down a foot or so no more. But then it would roll up fine. well i took it apart today and the rail thats attached to the bottom of the window is no longer attached to the bottom of the window Does anybody know if i can just glue that back in there somehow or how exactly did that rail connect to the window? Any help would be appreciated. thanks guys and gals
Attached Images

WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
dinnut

when this happened on my sisters car we called a window guy and he came out should be easy with these trucks to do it yourself. dont know what to use tho
Old 01-13-2004, 06:12 PM   #3
WRMZ71

I figure it would be easy too. But I don't know if they use some special type of glue that I can get or if its a manufactured thing like that.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:15 PM   #4
Yellow Cheyenne

Go to a place that installs auto glass. Ask for the glue they use. I was told plain silicone promotes rust so they don't use silicone to glue windshields in. You don't want your bottom channel to rust any more than they already tend to.

Randy
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:30 PM   #5
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

Ask for urethane sealer. That is the stuff that they use to glue widshields to cars.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Anyone feel free to jump in here and correct me, but I think he is talking about his DRIVER's side window that came undone from that rail that hooks to the glass. I think all that holds the window in is a chunk of a cork or rubber type gasket material. There is different thicknesses, so just go to a glass shop with a piece of the old stuff and they should be able to get you what you need. Unfortunately, you will have to pull the window and the channel out to get them hooked back up. I THINK I used a rubber mallet to get that rail back on the window. It is a tight fit.
Mike

John 3:16
2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:25 PM   #7
WRMZ71

Hey Mike you were right man. I looked in that channel and there was an old corkish looking gasket in there. It looked pretty decent(or as decent as you could expect) with only a few small tears in it. so I just slid it on there. A rubber mallet would have been nice cause my hands are killing me now but it went back on there snug as a bug. I don't know what the heck happened for it to come off of there like that but I hope it don't happen again. Thanks all for your input!!
Old 01-13-2004, 09:37 PM   #8
Yellow Cheyenne

Urethane sealant is what I was trying to think of. I figured that means it slid out of the bottom channel once, it would probably want to do it again so thought that using the urethane may be the way to go for mounting it back in.

Randy
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:07 PM   #9
Rooster's 67

the glass shop will sell you the modern day rubber welting material for attaching the glass to the channel.
it is really fun to do on a broken vent glass.....those will wear your as$ out

DINNUT, In your post above, did the information that you input to the conversation have any relitivity to the subject at hand?
I fail to find any. Anybody can call the glass guy, he needed a solution not a blank post.
so,,, when do you plan to break 4000 post? by febuary?
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:09 PM   #10
Rooster's 67

sorry guys to blow my cool there.....but......damn
people on dial up have download all that Bu!! S#!T to get to the real info
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote