The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
boycec1

65 GMC C15 Suspension Swap Question

I have just purchased a 65 GMC C15 w/305E V-6 that my son and I are going to fix up to be his high school driver. This truck does not have power steering or power brakes. We are wanting to add all of that plus convert to disk brakes.

I have read about people having success in bolting in a front end from a 77-88 suburban. I am interested in doing the same but I have a pretty newbie question. The C15 has 8 lug axles so I assume that I should be looking for a 3/4 ton, 77-88 suburban front end, is that correct? I am hoping that I can use the power steering from the same donner truck, will that work?

Do you guys have any suggestions that might help us on this journey?

Thanks
boycec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
chevyrestoguy

Re: 65 GMC C15 Suspension Swap Question

You can use a suspension from a '73 all the way to a '91 (I think the Suburbans and duallys stayed with the same suspension after the light truck model change in '88). If not, then definitely from '73 to '87. My suggestion is to find a 3/4 ton truck or Suburban that is being parted out and buy the entire rolling chassis. This way, you get the entire front and rear suspensions, steering box, sway bar, brake lines, and all of the other brackets you will need. When you've picked it clean, then send the rest to the scrapper and get your scrap money out of it. The reason why it's important to get both the front and rear suspensions is that the Eaton rear axle you have is kind of an orphan, and nobody makes any replacement pieces for it. The parts for the later axles are plentiful, and you might find one with a higher gear ratio. Your Eaton probably has 4.56 gears in it. You might be able to find a Dana with 3.73s in a donor truck. Your gas mileage will increase substantially, you won't be stuck in the slow lane, and it's much easier on the engine.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
boycec1

Wow, thanks restoguy, that is the type of information I am looking for but have had a hard time finding.

Since you brought it up the rear end I think that I have something other than the Eaton. For the pictures of Eaton I have seen, those read ends have a round shape and cover. The rear end that I have is not round and has 10 bolts. I wonder how I determine what I have?
Old 08-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
mikie 1954

I have a 64 gmc 3/4 ton and it has a Dana 60 rear in it. Chech what you have gmc did use Dana's in theirs.
mikie 1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
boycec1

Is there a sure fire way to figure out what I have?