The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
MikeB

vent window seal type

My 82 C10's vent windows seals are really shot, and I can't really tell if they are one-piece or two-piece. Does it matter what I use?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
rudey737

Re: vent window seal type

I haven't rebuilt my vent window seals yet, but it does matter what you use. There is even a difference in the glass shape between a one piece and two piece window seal. I'd recommend a search instead of me telling you about something I don't have experience with. You should be able to find all the information you'll need, and more.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
MikeB

Looks like 81-84 were 2-piece. However, the LMC catalog says 85-87 seals (which I assume are 1-piece) will work but the number of mounting holes may be different.

My 82's passengers side vent window assy is broken, so I picked up a pristine one at a junkyard from an 85. Guess I'll go ahead and install the newer one and see what the differences are.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
beamn7

My 85 was built in Oct of 84 and had the 2 piece seals in it. (found that out after removing the windows) I had already ordered the 1 piece seals so went ahead and put them in. Seemed to work just fine.
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Jake Wade

My '85 GMC has the 2 pc style.
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Precision Parts
Tech Help

It seems that the 81-87 (91) listing for these are just not that accurate. The 1 piece didn't come out till mid 85 but GM didn't switch over to this style completely. I spoke to a chap who had a stock 89 Suburban and he still had the 2 piece version which is why we decided to make a comparison video...it's the only way to be sure!

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
IdahoStepside

I just replaced vent window seals on my '82. They are two piece. I used Precision brand and am not too happy with the fit. Large ripples at the lower front curve. Big enough to get pinched in the vent window when trying to close it. I'm hoping they will shrink a bit in the sun or something.
IdahoStepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoStepside View Post
I just replaced vent window seals on my '82. They are two piece. I used Precision brand and am not too happy with the fit. Large ripples at the lower front curve. Big enough to get pinched in the vent window when trying to close it. I'm hoping they will shrink a bit in the sun or something.
That's not right. They should fit snug in the channel. We've installed plenty of these in customers vent assemblies to know how well they fit. I would not wait for mother nature to try and fix this!

If you want to reach out to me, call me at 888-345-1970. I would need to ask a lot of questions to see if we can address this.

Derek

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
IdahoStepside

First, after rereading my post, I did not mean to imply Precision products are poor quality! I'm very pleased with all the other weatherstripping and window seals-all Precision products. It's more likely my install. I'm thinking maybe I should have trimmed seal a little shorter or something.

[ATTACH]Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  23.8 KB[/ATTACH]
Old 08-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
First, after rereading my post, I did not mean to imply Precision products are poor quality! I'm very pleased with all the other weatherstripping and window seals-all Precision products. It's more likely my install. I'm thinking maybe I should have trimmed seal a little shorter or something.

[ATTACH]Attachment 1286376[/ATTACH]
Thanks for the clarification. There could be several reasons why this has happened, however you do NOT need to trim these seals. They are very specific with tight tolerances to fit these assemblies.

Why don't you PM your phone number and see if I or my R & D guy can help. It maybe that you'll have to re-install these to get them seated correctly.

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Old 08-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
Sodell

Quote:

[ATTACH]Attachment 1286376[/ATTACH]
You need to take those back out, that seal goes down in the channel. just like the outside

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
Sodell

Should look like this...
[IMG][/IMG]

I just put my doors back together a few months ago with Precision. I was pretty happy with the fit, but they still make a bit of noise going down the road. On one side the metal piece under the rubber was broke and it had a little bubble which looked kind of funny. I am sure they would have sent me another one, but I did not complain..

[IMG][/IMG]

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #13
Jake Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodell View Post
You need to take those back out, that seal goes down in the channel. just like the outside

Yep, you beat me to it. All that needs to be tucked in.
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #14
IdahoStepside

Well I'm glad to know its fixable. Not thrilled about disassembling the doors again! Guess that's the stupid tax I gotta pay for not doing it right the first time.