The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Just bought another one

I have recently moved to a larger house in more southern NJ . This house has a large paved yard with a long driveway which will be bad for me if I have to use the snow blower to clear in the winter.. So today I bought a 77 K20 complete with a plow. The PO says it was restored before he got it a while ago but he used it for a plow truck so it desperately needs a redo. Chassis is kinda rusty too. For now Im just going to get it going.. the batteries are dead from sitting and it allegedly needs an oil pump, so that's the first order of business, then I have to figure out where I am at.. allegedly its full time 4wd with automatic hubs. he is giving me a set of manual hubs so I have to change that out. Pics to come once it actually arrives here

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
KrazyRay

Re: Just bought another one

Bob, 77 is a good year for the K20. It should nave the dana 44 front axle and not a bunch of smog equipment. You have a couple of months to get her going to beat the snow!
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

some pics
Attached Images

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

more pics and the rest of the brood at the new place
the truck needs to get the batteries checked to determine if they are still good and then a good charge. The PO said the motor needed an oil pump and its ticking bad so I may just see if I can find a good used motor because I have no knowledge of this motor and the guy who restored this the last time did a real lousy job so I think im just going to either get a good used motor or buy yet another Jegs motor and throw it in there
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 08-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
aotte1

Bob,
Looks pretty good, what gears does it have, is it a turbo 400. Should be a nice plow truck. The K30, SRW, 4.56 , turbo 400, and diesel worked great in Chicago snow. Should be lots of fun!!

Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
MidwestMan

Congrats!
MidwestMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

That truck screams you Bob. Congrats
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
monte0185

It more than likely has a 203 transfer case thats full time 4wd since there are no hubs. I would leave it alone if thats the case since putting manual hubs on it will require them to be locked all the time anyway. And for what your doing a 203 transfer case will do just fine.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Your41Plague12

The 203 case actually works great in the snow. It's not quite as strong as a 205, but for plowing I'd actually prefer one. Looks like a decent truck, I'm jealous!
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Ive been running around a lot the past few days so ive not had time to do anything but get it here.. hopefully Wednesday I can get outside get the battery charged find where the brake leaks are and fix them and decide if im going to fix or swap the motor, The truck has 0 oil pressure on a gauge and the thing is tapping no rod knock tho maybe just a filter and oil pump hopefully I can get away with that for now

I hate cancer!!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Well I finally got to working on the truck. there is a mixed bag on news on that. The guy who had the truck before me evidently was not mechanically inclined as I thought being he had two old mopars in his garage that he knew what he was talking about but the oil pump works just fine. Motors tend to make noise when there is no oil in them... a simple pull of the dipstick will tell you that lol. So I threw some oil in it and found that there was a crack in the oil filter and a pin hole on the oil pan. First thing I did was to replace the oil filter with a delco one and then I ground down the area on the oil pan where it was leaking and threw on a bunch of JB Weld and put a penny over the spot where the hole was.. works like a charm.. Also we found that the majority of the brake lines were kinda shot and at least two had holes so I redid the brake lines from the cab back and shes holding pressure. The bad news was that the transmission has no third gear and is slipping so it looks like its going to go for a transmission. it is a th350 which is not great news for the planned use of this truck.. Also there is a lot of rot in the cab. the cross supports are really shot and the rail that comes down the front of the truck on the passenger side is completely useless so im going to swap out the cab . Ive located a good cab but ill have to do the 4X4 conversion on it

I hate cancer!!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

looks like it's gona be a great (fun)plow truck
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
ScottH

Bob, congrats on the new truck.
BTW came across this on craigslist:

I am parting out a 74 K30 all that I have left is an th350 automatic transmission and an np203 transfer case. I just want this stuff gone come by and get it out of my yard. My name is Andrew you can contact my at 7326688eight65.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

thanks for the heads up I called the guy and he was down the shore for the weekend but im going to call him Monday to get it

I hate cancer!!