The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
wsurf4me

Steering linkage questions

I've got a 58 Apache mounted on a 84 C10 chassis with power steering, the PO had an old steering column hacked in off center to the gauges. I've since replaced the column with an Ididit tilt column and centered it up on the gauges and dash. I'm now ready to run the linkage, I'm sure this has been done many times before however I did some searching and haven't found much.

What's the best way to connect everything up? I know I need a couple of universal joints and a support since it's now off center, but do I still need the telescoping shaft? Do I still use the rag joint or connect straight to the gearbox?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Steering linkage questions

Borgsen has a good write up on their site about designing custom steering. I used their advise as a starting point but used a combination of 74 truck and Astrovan parts I got at the wrecking yard for $10. Astro van for the end joints, 74 for the shaft and slip joint. Mine is 4WD so the front will flex quite a bit off road, I allowed for about 1" of movement each way. Not as pretty as borgsen joints but just as strong. Column is 82 Eldo, box is 74 truck.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
wsurf4me

Thanks Orrie.

I may have to hit the salvage yard, those new parts are expensive.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
wsurf4me

Still wondering do I still need the telescoping shaft? Do I still use the rag joint or connect straight to the gearbox?
Old 08-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
wsurf4me

Thanks again Orrie, I finally had time to check out the Borgeson website. Found answers to all my questions.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
mr48chev

That shaft isn't actually a "telescoping" shaft but a "collapsible" shaft that collapses in a wreck and helps keep the steering shaft from being pushed through your chest in a wreck. On one in original condition there is a plastic pin holding the two pieces at the right length for the original application. That doesn't mean that they don't work great to adjust the length on our installs though. o

No you don't need the collapsible shaft, at least not until you get in a head on wreck. On cars and trucks built before 1968 it was pretty common for the driver to get impaled on the steering column in a head on wreck.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
wsurf4me

Thanks yes I should have said collapsible. From what I've read if the column and gearbox are offset and two or more universal joints are used a collapsible shaft isn't needed. Makes sense to me as I would think in a head on collision the joints would collapse and break.

Here's a picture of what I've got, I'm thinking get rid of the old shaft and rag joint, replace it with two universals, new shaft and a support.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
spreader

48 GMC on a 78 C-20. Used original column & cut it down. Put 2 flats on the end for a DD. Borgesen joint DD on both ends. DD shaft cut to fit. Lower is from a GM van of some sort, Astro I think. Collapsible like pictured in this thread. The longer the shaft the less angle on the joints. You can estimate the amount of offset between column and gear box. (Yep, I know the distributor is 180* out. Haste makes waste. It's been corrected)
Old 08-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsurf4me View Post
Thanks yes I should have said collapsible. From what I've read if the column and gearbox are offset and two or more universal joints are used a collapsible shaft isn't needed. Makes sense to me as I would think in a head on collision the joints would collapse and break.

Here's a picture of what I've got, I'm thinking get rid of the old shaft and rag joint, replace it with two universals, new shaft and a support.
That was my starting point too, but rag and coupling would not give enough angle. Rag joints do not like extreme angles anyway. Once you remove the plastic pin shown the shaft has quite a bit of movement both in and out.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote