The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #26
no1udknow

Re: Hot starter issues?

My dad had a c10 from the time I was 2 til I was about 25. He started having this problem a lot too. His problem was that he had removed the factory heat shield from the starter, and his valve cover leaked oil which soaked in to the starter and caked around the brushes and when it was hot, it wouldn't start. We would randomly rebuild the starter but most people just buy a new one now days.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #27
franken

That also cleaned all connections and the starter to block ground, so it doesn't prove much.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #28
no1udknow

Well, when we would take Iit apart the brushes and the contact plate would be caked with oil. He finally fabbed a new heat shield because the oem one interfed with the headers he had, fixed the leaking valve cover, and it stopped happening. Proved plenty to me. And I have run in to this issue a lot with the equipment I have at work. They start great when cold but once they start heating up they act like the battery is dead, its definately not a connection issue because when I hook a jumper box directly to the starter it still drags.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #29
CST10

Yep, the test at the shop proved the starter was dragging and slow to turn.

I also repair that S wire while I was under there just incase that might turn out to be the next issue.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #30
Old_Skool

I had the same problem .. i carried a hammer with me . A couple love taps on the ol' starter will get u goin if u don't want to wait for it to cool down. mini starter should fix the problem
Old_Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #31
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Skool View Post
I had the same problem .. i carried a hammer with me . A couple love taps on the ol' starter will get u goin if u don't want to wait for it to cool down. mini starter should fix the problem
Hahahaha, yup, ball peen inder the bench seat. It's funny how we will figure out a way to make it work when were broke. The other issue ours had was there was crap in the replacement tank my dad installed and I had to constantly clean the in carb filter, and the jets on the side of the road. Luckily we had a holley so the bowl was right on the side, but I got darn good at doing it quickly