The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
SCOTI

Dome Light Help

Would anyone happen to have a pic of the dome light opening sheetmetal on a 81-87 single cab?

My crew cab had 2 dome lights (center of roof & back cab wall). They were installed w/low (no?) concerns for craftsmanship. I'm retrofitting a pair of OE dome lights & I'm curious how the sheetmetal is shaped to get a better understanding of how to proceed.

Anyone have a pic of this or possibly can take a pic of their bare cab wall @ this area?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Dome Light Help

Bump.....

Anybody?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
Don SC

Here's a pic of the dome light opening in my 87 R10. The brown color around the hole isn't rust- it's adhesive from the headliner. The new headliner came with a hole cut for the light fixture. I bought the headliner from Chris Lucas, who is a frequent contributor to this site and owns his own site-www.73-87chevytrucks.com, which is a sister site to this one

Last edited by Don SC; 08-08-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Don SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:11 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don SC View Post
Here's a pic of the dome light opening in my 87 R10. The brown color around the hole isn't rust- it's adhesive from the headliner. The new headliner came with a hole cut for the light fixture. I bought the headliner from Chris Lucas, who is a frequent contributor to this site and owns his own site-www.73-87chevytrucks.com, which is a sister site to this one
I know Chris & he's def a good guy so you can't go wrong there....

As for your pic, is the opening flat (even) w/the surrounding sheet metal surface or is the area 'raised' slightly where the screw retaining clips attach? The center dome light opening for my CC is raised so that's what drives the question.

A BIG thanks for your assistance!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-09-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
Don SC

Hmm... flat or raised.... I can't remember. Seems like it was flat. Big help, huh?
Old 08-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Chevy3+3

The metal itself is flat but is contoured. You can see the light hanging in the pic has a curved mounting plate. But the metal where the clips are is flat.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
Don SC

That's a pretty good explaination 3+3 !
Old 08-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #8
SCOTI

Thanks.

The LMC replacements are both flat & there's no opening on my CC's roof so that should help move forward.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
Don SC

There are LED bulbs available now. The regular bulb, a 211-2, gets pretty hot. I just ordered a new LED from that company, and then found out that AutoZone carries them.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
There are LED bulbs available now. The regular bulb, a 211-2, gets pretty hot. I just ordered a new LED from that company, and then found out that AutoZone carries them.
Yes sir, thanks for the heads up & it's why I'm putting fresh parts back in (in addition to the lights that were in there were just butt ugly). There was evidence on both center & rear lights of excess heat to the point of melting the plastic + evidence of charring.

New OE style housings & some type of LED bulb that creates less heat is the plan.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

And any color you want.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
And any color you want.
Nope.... There's only 1 choice for me

I removed 'mood' lighting from the thing when I assumed ownership (the first mods done: remove the 8 interior mood lights/lamps & cut the cowboy chrome tips off the exhaust).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
So I went looking locally for LED replacements for the 211-2 dome bulb & haven't had any luck (Pep Boys, OReillys, & AutoZone).

The only thing I could find was a bulb that consisted of a single row of 4 individual LED's. It was advertised as 10x brighter than a 'traditional' bulb but that comparison must be to a traditional bulb that's not plugged in.

My direct comparison of the traditional bulb vs the 1 & only LED replacement I found is the traditional might not be as 'bright' but it does offer more overall light vs that 1x4 arrangement. Seems more LED's will be required for improvement.

Any suggestions or specific recommendations?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
Don SC

The 211-2 bulb was melting my housing. They do get hot! So I'm going to use the LED bulb. I"m having trouble finding a new clear plastic lens tho. When I use the original lens it won't let the LED light thru and the cab is too dark. So I've removed the lens until I can find a clear one.
I thought I saw one one on Autozone's site a few days ago, but now I can't find it...
Old 08-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
The 211-2 bulb was melting my housing. They do get hot! So I'm going to use the LED bulb. I"m having trouble finding a new clear plastic lens tho. When I use the original lens it won't let the LED light thru and the cab is too dark. So I've removed the lens until I can find a clear one.
I thought I saw one one on Autozone's site a few days ago, but now I can't find it...
The ones I found listed on Autozones sight the other night were like in this pic. But when I went to the nearest store, they only had the single 1x4 bulb.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG