The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #26
elf w/capital T

Re: How to install modern radio

please don't cut, you don't need a fancy high tech radio, just spend the time and modify it (threads above) and or spend the money on the aftermarket ones that fit the stock! its sad to see dashes all cut up.... but hey, its your truck! good luck!!
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #27
Dean'smeanmachine

someone cut my dash before me. but they did a good job very clean cut. im putting in a pioneer radio with a cd player. no pics at this time unfortionatly

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #28
71ChevySS(straight6)

You've probably installed your radio by now, but I'm a poor white boy as well and here's how I decided I wanted to mount my new single-din without hacking up the dash.

I started with several feet of 2"x1/8" flat steel. I cut two 7.25" pieces, two 2" pieces, an 11" piece, and then got a 6.5" length of 1/4" rod.

I tacked the 2" chunks vertical to one of the 7.25" strips, then tacked the other 7.25" on top of those. Once I got that, I went ahead and welded the outside edges of the rectangular box together solid. I then took an angle grinder and cleaned up the outsides, and in order for the radio to fit in it's new sleeve, I had to take a metal file and grind down the tacks I had done inside. That was time-consuming, to say the least.

After I got the sleeve welded up, I took the 1/4" rod, laid it on the back edge of the top of the sleeve, centered it, and welded it down. After that, I centered the 11" strip on top of that (it will be angled down, with the shorter edge being the front) and welded it down flush with the front.

Now, here's the tricky part: drilling holes. The main ones you need are the big ones through the 11" piece to bolt it to the bottom of the dash. (by the way, if it's a standard, don't worry about clearance; I checked it myself, and there's still two inches, give or take, of clearance between the bottom of the bracket and the shifter when it's in first and third.) With the head unit I bought, the tabs around the faceplate hold it up, but I will drill at least one hole in each side of the sleeve to screw the head into place.

Sidenote, you will need to extend the wiring harness to reach the back of the head unit. My head didn't come with a harness, and I can't find a good pin-out diagram ANYWHERE, so I need to make up a new harness before I do anything else lol

Rat rod build: 1949 Crosley Station Wagon body on 1993 Dodge D350 chassis, Cadillac 500 powerplant.
71ChevySS(straight6) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #29
Bad Jackson

Does anybody know if there are modernized steroid that fit these trucks? Maybe ones with aux ports and/or satellite radio???? If you had those options, you wouldn't need CDs, and if you don't need a CD player, you wouldn't need to cut the dash!!! I haven't played a CD in years!
Old 08-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #30
Bad Jackson

*stereos
Not steroid.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #31
71ChevySS(straight6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Jackson View Post
Does anybody know if there are modernized steroid that fit these trucks? Maybe ones with aux ports and/or satellite radio???? If you had those options, you wouldn't need CDs, and if you don't need a CD player, you wouldn't need to cut the dash!!! I haven't played a CD in years!
There sure are, but theyre pricey. Look up RetroSound. They have a factory replacement head that has an aux input, (I think rear USB), RCA outputs, and a digital screen. It'll run ya upwards of $250, though.

Rat rod build: 1949 Crosley Station Wagon body on 1993 Dodge D350 chassis, Cadillac 500 powerplant.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #32
michael bustamante

Get an underdash install kit off e bay. Theyre 11.00
Old 08-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #33
track70

Just get rid of those useless heater controls and install it there..no cutting of the dash..i made an outside trim panel to fit snug..looks like the truck came that way.

King's Speed Shop
track70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #34
Bad Jackson

In Montana, we don't consider our heater controls useless...
Old 08-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #35
Mikeeal33

I'm in Nevada and I use my heater controls too.

I really just wanted to post here to say I'm a poor white boy too.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #36
Bad Jackson

I'm such a poor white boy, that I don't even OWN a truck yet!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #37
sixtyeightC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by track70 View Post
Just get rid of those useless heater controls and install it there..no cutting of the dash..i made an outside trim panel to fit snug..looks like the truck came that way.

The last time that I was in Orlando was February-March of last year. While I was wearing my T-shirt or hoodie everyone else were wearing heavy winter coats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Jackson View Post
In Montana, we don't consider our heater controls useless...
Same here in North-East Utah. When the inversion sets in we don't see temps above ZERO for up to six weeks!

I cut my dash for my radio, and I don't regret it. So far I have had nobody say a word once about it, other than a "nice radio" comment. Since we own our trucks to build and to customize as we see fit, I don't see any difference cutting a dash for a single DIN radio to be any different than overlaying our glove box and instrument panel with aluminum diamond plate, or cutting out for a gas tank relocation, or when removing the body trim and filling in the holes, or shaving the door handles off and so forth. Our truck is a project, we will restore or modify it accordingly. The only point to make is that it should be done with class.

Formerly known as mtndewmaniac66.
sixtyeightC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #38
71ChevySS(straight6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by track70 View Post

You shouldn't have used the word "useless". I use mine all the time. If it's not a daily driver, which yours isn't, evidently, then they might not have much use, but for those of us who rely on these trucks to get us places, we need those controls when it gets cold.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #39
71ChevySS(straight6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
Get an underdash install kit off e bay. Theyre 11.00
I like knowing mine's not going to break anytime soon. Cheap plastic doesn't last long where I live.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #40
wreckedchevy

I had mine cut as well and removed the gas tank to fit two 15" kicker's (life before kids) I eventually traded all the stereo equipment to a guy for computer parts.