The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2014, 01:49 AM   #1
NEWFISHER

help. found a rear hit 04 2x. what items do I need for the swap?

Hey guys, I searched through the Faq's and a few build threads but didnt find a swap list from donor truck. I scored a long block awhile back and have been chipping away slowly at getting it together when i stumble across a smokin deal on a rear smashed 04 truck ( my long block is an 01) and looking for a list of items as I wont be hauling the truck home thats 4 hrs away...just the parts I pull. Any specialty tools etc. That I need to take?
Mabey a cool donor list could sticky in the faq?
Thanks for the help!
Old 08-17-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
lha1992

Re: help. found a rear hit 04 2x. what items do I need for the swap?

Well since its an 04 I can't remember if its drive-by-wire or not but grab everything the engine tranny, engine harness an under hood fuse block, grab computer an harness also an might as well the whole dash harness an the gas pedal assembly if its DBW. OHH also grab fuel stuff like pump an what not you never know. All the O2 sensors an anything engine management.

Special tools? Doubt it just bring a good socket set an wrenches, pliers, hex an Allen keys possibly, hack saw for exhaust. Obviously a hoist an some other odds an ends an you should be set!

What kinda engine is in the truck? 5.3 or 6.0?
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:53 AM   #3
NEWFISHER

Thanks! I spaced the O2 sensors. Engine is a 5.3 and will be swapping out the 235 in my 46 as soon as I can get the parts list knocked out. Fittings, pump, ac bracket , manifolds etc.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
NEWFISHER

Whats everyone doing for 4l60 elec. To manual cable to drive the old clusters?
Old 08-17-2014, 04:47 AM   #5
lha1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Thanks! I spaced the O2 sensors. Engine is a 5.3 and will be swapping out the 235 in my 46 as soon as I can get the parts list knocked out. Fittings, pump, ac bracket , manifolds etc.
Don't forget those O2s! Their are 4 of them if I do believe right so get them all an if you have the computer tuned have the ones that deal with emissions burned out an I believe those are the pair that come after the cats.

But nice!!! That 46 you have is cool dude!!! Plus the orange truck you had was so sick but this 46 will be sweet with this new drive train!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Whats everyone doing for 4l60 elec. To manual cable to drive the old clusters?
Actually you will have a 4L65E which is a better tranny than the 60e. But as for the manual cable to run the cluster I think either you will have to go to a different cluster orrr buy some electro-mechanical motor that goes to the back of the original cluster to work with the tranny.

Might be wrong about that but that's what I've heard.
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
casper71

I forgot the site but they sell the tail shaft kit that has the electric and mechanical senders for computer and old cable speedo. They run around 500 for the kit.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
47 Fasttoys

Make sure you have a 18 mm deep well socket, not common on most socket sets. '03 or newer will be DBW unless it's a van. You want the ECM, complete engine and tranny harness, pedal assembly, throttle actuator control module (TAC), cable between the two. Now, if you can get all you want, I would get the PS cooler with lines, radiator, AC lines to the fire wall, fuse box, all battery cables, as much of the exhaust as you can get out, drive shaft (at least the tranny yoke), air box with filter, engine mount stands with pads, and fuse box. Of course all the bolts from removing these items.For the shifter I'm going total electronic but my application is an oddball (mid-mount COE).
Good luck,
Rob

Last edited by 47 Fasttoys; 08-17-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: errors
47 Fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
71swb4x4

There is always something you miss. Can you borrow a trailer and bring the whole truck home? I did a TPI swap and having the entire car was a huge help, and I ended up making money on the deal when I sold what I didn't use.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
NEWFISHER

Thanks guys! Heading up tomorrow after work to "hear it run" and pull a valve cover, negotiate the deal and drop a deposit if it is what its supposed to be. Ill head back another weekend with a car trailer , herry picker, tools etc.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #10
Low Elco

Good luck! I'd get the tank and pump assembly, as well.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #11
Low Elco

did you close the deal? The rate you move, I'm surprised it ain't installed yet!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:12 AM   #12
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
did you close the deal? The rate you move, I'm surprised it ain't installed yet!
HAHAHAHAA

deal closed! Im getting it all including tank, exhaust, cooling, steering etc. Now im just swimming in info here and through each build thread gathering as much valuable info as I can to be as prepped as possible. Once I start the build, I hope to do it in a similar maner as my 50 burb...a weekend at a time while driving it in between Im gonna build and loosley install a stand alone fuel system. Build the cooling system and trans cooler lines. Since i dont have a crossmember, build some frame box plates and fab some mounts onto dingo sliders. With as much pre prep work done I should just have to blow apart the front sheet metal stab the motor trans , install the pre laid harness ( having the relays and fuse center previously mounted) and chop/weld up the driveshaft then have it balenced while Im at work on a monday.
I stopped by a buddies place and crawled all over his pro street looking 69 olds LS swap and along with this forum, am more comfortable with some good notes. I would recommend anyone doing this to read as many build threads as you can along with parts supply lists and cross check pricing at fleabay and amazon for some good deals. Unlike a carb motor, an ls swap is as much or more for the conversion items than the engine trans package used.