The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
steves1967

Back of hood lifts up?

What causes the back of my hood to lift up about 3/4" every time I drive the truck? Is it weak hood springs or bad alignment- or just the fact that our hoods are huge by large?
'24 GMC CC 4x4 Duramax Dually
steves1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
Sklptrljay

Re: Back of hood lifts up?

Your truck is haunted.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

When I bought my '68 C/10 Stepside in June 1973, after the P.O. showed me the engine bay, he took out an old white T-shirt, carefully placed it on the end of the hood, put his elbow in the groove and gently pushed each end down, explaining, "It always does this."
I have had people tell me it's caused by lax hood springs or hinge bolts too high, but what ever I try, it's still up in the back. Finally, I got used to it and now, I just tell people "It's for engine cooling."
I've gone so far as to hit the back of the drivers side headlamp with flat black paint to cut down on underhood highbeam glare.
Some of us get used to it, and some of us are bodywork freaks, who cannot rest and must devise all manner of remedies. Go with the flow and black-out the back of your headlight.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
tcrist

I was always told that it is weak hood springs.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
FirstOwner69

It could be worn pivot pins or just improper adjustment. To adjust, loosen the hood to fender bolts and have a friend hold the hood up as far as it will go and tighten the bolts. Be careful though, since you will also have to correct the fore and aft adjustment so it fits properly with the grille, fenders and cowl. If it sits too low after this, repeat the process, but have your helper exert less upward pressure.

If this doesn't help then you'll probably need to have the hinges rebuilt or buy new.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 08-22-2014 at 02:40 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
bbcmudtruck

Completely agree with FirstOwner69!
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

I will repeat some of what FirstOwner said and add a little extra to it....

What you need to do to lower the back the hood is to loosen the bolts on the inside of the fenders (only slightly) and have someone push up on the front of the hood while you tighten the bolts. This rotates the hinges back, raising the front of the hinge and lowering the rear. This will lower the hood in the back. Sometimes you can leave the front bolts snugged up and just loosen the rear two on each side and get enough adjustment that way.

If the hinges are worn it generally won't change how high the hood sits by more than a fraction of an inch, unless they are about ready to fall apart. I have never seen a vehicle with this style hinge that you couldn't put the hood lower than the fenders if you wanted to. There is a lot of adjustment with these hinges. That is one of the things that makes it easy to align the panels.

If you put new rubber bumpers on the inside lip of the fenders where the hood closes, some of the replacement bumpers are a lot thicker than the originals and will hold the hood up, so check that also....

You need to be very careful when you close the hood after doing this in case you moved it too much or the hinges did not move evenly, side to side.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote