The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Leroy-B1

frame help

Have a 60 apache long bed and was wondering if the frame can be shortened like the 67 to 72s can...wanting to keep original frame if possible but really want a shortbed instead.....or would it be just as easy to swap to a 63 up SWB frame
Leroy-B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
pimpston65

Re: frame help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy-B1 View Post
Have a 60 apache long bed and was wondering if the frame can be shortened like the 67 to 72s can...wanting to keep original frame if possible but really want a shortbed instead.....or would it be just as easy to swap to a 63 up SWB frame
does your DMV check the frame with the vin? if its not titled yet cuz some folks say their town does, but short or that cutting the frame is simple if your good with a tape measure and welding, plenty of videos on youtube and help from this forum, they also show where to cut the bed to make it shorter also. good luck!!!
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Leroy-B1

DMV doesn't check but with it having the x member in back was wondering if it was even possible
Old 08-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
pimpston65

Quote:
DMV doesn't check but with it having the x member in back was wondering if it was even possible
well you have 2 options, frame swap as long as its the same yr and all the mounting points are the same. then the full on cut and weld deal. with the first you can change the bed also, but that will cost more, due to bed purchase lest you have a short bed laying around. the cut and weld deal you cut and weld both frame and box!!!
Old 08-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
well you have 2 options, frame swap as long as its the same yr and all the mounting points are the same. then the full on cut and weld deal. with the first you can change the bed also, but that will cost more, due to bed purchase lest you have a short bed laying around. the cut and weld deal you cut and weld both frame and box!!!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NddN52Pe7CQ
Old 08-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Leroy-B1

Have a bed already with matched patina
Old 08-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Leroy-B1

Thanks for the link that shows a 63 up frame and I was wondering on the 60-62 style frame since they are different....but if I did use a short 63-66 frame what are the mods to be made
Old 08-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
padresag

Quote:
it is not that the mvb checks for vin# as such. it is what is in their regulations that stipulates what you can do. ask them what you can legally do.
where these issue do rise are if you are ever involved in a serious accident(yes, i know it will never happen to you) and then they inspect your vehicle and things don't match up. they can then tear you a new one that you will be paying forever. they can void your insurance in such instances.
the other is when you sell it. say that it goes to another state and they want to do an inspection before the new owner can register it there and if discrepancies show up they won't register it.
the police at any time can ask you to prove that the numbers belong to the written registration
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
69chevytrucker

pretty sure if the frame is cut right mvb and cops cant say much think of the guys that build there own frames and guys that use the porterbuilt etc i got a buddy that did this
Name:  IMG1275.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  29.8 KBits a 53 ford stretched for ext cab and sat on a dodge frame and has a cummins in it he had the mvb make him a new vin took it to a show in cali and won a award for best engineered ford .. we call it a fodge at work lol but there is always ways around the mvb
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
hotrod66

why not just weld over the vin on the short frame and re stamp your vin in it or cut the vin out and weld it in to the other i have done that before
Old 08-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
Leroy-B1

Thanks for all the concern but still doesn't answer my questions...I'm not worried about the legal Vin issues just the frame shortening. ..I have checked all the legals in my state and know what I can and can't do...just really need to know if shortening the 60 frame is possible or is it better to get a 63 to 66 short frame. ..I'd like to shorten the original frame but I can do either in my state as long as I have it inspected afterwards
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
hotrod66

i think you can shorten the 60 via cutting the x in the middle in the drive-shaft tunnel. if it was me doing it i would opt for the later frame it just seams easier especially if you want to bag it.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #13
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod66 View Post
i think you can shorten the 60 via cutting the x in the middle in the drive-shaft tunnel. if it was me doing it i would opt for the later frame it just seams easier especially if you want to bag it.
All the posts are geared to help and head off issues down the line, that being said a frame swap with shorter 115wb seems the best cuz no worries on welds and such!!! goodluck and keep us updated...
Old 08-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #14
64shortbox

Personally I would have no problem cutting & welding a frame back together again. I would use a step or Z pattern when shortening a frame and splicing it back together. Many flat beds have had their frames lengthened over the years to meet customers needs. Also many a Camaro has given up their front clip over the years to be welded into 55-58 Chevy trucks to add power steering & disc brakes. Many, many years ago (like 40) I took a body shop class, we would get cars in where the frame horns were bent so bad that we would cut off the frame before the spring pocket, weld in one from a junk yard donor and we were students. I have to admit though I was a ship fitter in the Navy and where I work now, pretty much if it needs to be arc or mig welded I'm usually the one doing the job.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:48 AM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '60-'62 frame would be a big PITA to shorten. This is one instance where I would say you would be better off with a '63-'66 frame. Even if it is a long wheelbase and needs shortened.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote