The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
NastyBuzzard

Crew Cab Dually Questions

Ok guys. I have always wanted a lifted 91 crew cab short bed.

Since I moved into my house about a year and half ago, I drive by this truck everyday to and from work.

Ever since I saw it I have been trying to find the owner. It is next to a house that is abandoned/boarded up but I have been asking around and finally got his name but no contact info.

Well last a week ago I road by and finally saw the owner out there cutting the grass so I stopped.

Hes a 80 year old man who had a landscaping business. He said the trucks engine blew in the 90's and its been there ever since. He thinks it had a 350. The engine was stolen as well as the radiator and some punk kids have shot a hole in the door.

After hours of talking to him he said he had the title and If I removed the bed and ladder rack for him he would sell me the truck for $300 after he dug up the title.

As you can see it's not in perfect shape. He said it was a 76 or 78 and had a posi 14 bolt rear w/ 4.10s 2wd.

Told him I wanted it so when I get around to removing the bed and stuff I will need to figure out a way to get it about 3 miles to my house.

Rear tires are rotted though and rims are on the ground. Front tires look like they will hold some air though.

I opened the door to check it out, no headliner, interior isn't great and floor pans/door sills gonna need some serious love/metal repair.

I was gonna take pics but got stung by some wasps who have taken refuge there. Also the ds front door wont close all the way tight.

Here are some more pics I took.

So what you think? I can stop by and check it out and take as many pics as needed.

What do I need to look for/check?

Worth it? I think so.

I just happen to have a 02 6.0 sitting around...

Also since I have a 89 front end conversion I am doing to my 87 while I am doing my ls swap I will have the 87 front end I could put on it. Unsure.
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Flatpat

Re: Crew Cab Dually Questions

I love it and I am all about saving them so kuddos to you.

It looks like you have 1979 there. I personally love the single round headlights but if the metal isn't all that great you'll have the 87 front end or just switch it regardless, your build. Rockers and floors are where I find the rust.

All in all, looks like a score to me. Congrats!
Flatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatpat View Post
I love it and I am all about saving them so kuddos to you.

It looks like you have 1979 there. I personally love the single round headlights but if the metal isn't all that great you'll have the 87 front end or just switch it regardless, your build. Rockers and floors are where I find the rust.

All in all, looks like a score to me. Congrats!
Thanks for that! I love saving them too. I find myself wanting every style of squarebody I can get. Lifted/lowered, I like them all.

Never considered owning a dually, thought about just converting it to single wheel instead of finding a dually bed but the dually aspect is growing on me.

I will definitely check rockers/floors and all and get more pics.

I like the single round headlights as well, just depends on if I am trying to get this truck to run or go all out on ls/diesel swap and all that.

I am going to try and find out exactly what year it is and everything soon and upload some more pics. I just can't pass it up b/c of the price and the owner and I have pretty much struck a deal.

I really wish it was 4wd instead of 2wd, but I guess it could be converted if I need another 4wd.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
NorCalAnthony

It looks like it needs a lot of work but for $300 it'd be hard to pass up. Depending on what your goals are you could try to pick up cheap 4wd Suburban (lien, wrecked, blown motor, etc) and swap the crew cab over with a small flat bed. It might be easier than converting it to 4wd and would make for a killer camping/off road rig. I'm glad to see you're trying to save the old girl and wish I could find something similar out where I'm at...
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony View Post
It looks like it needs a lot of work but for $300 it'd be hard to pass up. Depending on what your goals are you could try to pick up cheap 4wd Suburban (lien, wrecked, blown motor, etc) and swap the crew cab over with a small flat bed. It might be easier than converting it to 4wd and would make for a killer camping/off road rig. I'm glad to see you're trying to save the old girl and wish I could find something similar out where I'm at...
I am not against building a flatbed for it! All really depends on if I am converting it to a SWB or leaving LWB. I already have a longbed 4x4.. Be nice to make this one into a short bed. Hey I can make a short flat bed haha!

I agree on the suburban idea... I just let a complete one slip through my fingers, was running and driving 4wd 90 burban for $600 w/ title. Another squarebody guy I am friends with swiped it out from under me.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
SCOTI

I'd offer to pull the bed & ladder rack for him in exchange for hauling the remains off his property to HELP him clean up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I'd offer to pull the bed & ladder rack for him in exchange for hauling the remains off his property to HELP him clean up.
Well that's close to what went down. However it ended up where he said instead of paying me to pull the bed and rack that he'd knock price off the truck. That's how it ended up around $200. He wanted like $500-$600 for it. I'd never use a service body. Too heavy.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyBuzzard View Post
Well that's close to what went down. However it ended up where he said instead of paying me to pull the bed and rack that he'd knock price off the truck. That's how it ended up around $200. He wanted like $500-$600 for it. I'd never use a service body. Too heavy.
Agreed.... But, since he mentioned "sitting since the 90's". Even if it was Dec 31, 1999 that it was parked, that's over 13yrs of sitting idle. Getting the rack & service body off for free & the remains hauled off is a good deal for both.

If it's worth the work & cash to you, I wouldn't touch a thing until you have the signed title in hand.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
Agreed.... But, since he mentioned "sitting since the 90's". Even if it was Dec 31, 1999 that it was parked, that's over 13yrs of sitting idle. Getting the rack & service body off for free & the remains hauled off is a good deal for both.

If it's worth the work & cash to you, I wouldn't touch a thing until you have the signed title in hand.
Yeah that's a given! He is going to bring over tractor and all to help pull off the service body and ladder rack. After that all I will owe is $200 and either he's gonna help me get it home or I'm going to have to find a way to trailer the big girl.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyBuzzard View Post
Yeah that's a given! He is going to bring over tractor and all to help pull off the service body and ladder rack. After that all I will owe is $200 and either he's gonna help me get it home or I'm going to have to find a way to trailer the big girl.
Ok.... $200 delivered is not bad
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #11
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
Ok.... $200 delivered is not bad
Yeah!! I agree haha! It is only like 3 miles from my house though but still. Beats me tracking down a big enough trailer for it!