The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
rico7769
Hybrid67

Easy Disc Brake Question

Team,

I am looking to convert from drum to disc but am undecided between the power brakes or just disc. Can anyone elaborate on what the benefit of disc brakes are if they aren't powered other than lack of adjustment,etc. I'm going to keep stock height spindles and convert over to 73-87 ball joints, etc so exchanging/maintaining in the future will be easier.

I know these conversions are popular and am not looking to start an installation or mechanical thread about them, just some honest input from people that have converted to disc or power disc brakes and what they can tell me about it.

Looking forward to some great info so I can make a decision on my personal birthday present.

Thanks,

Steve

All show.....no go
rico7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
BlackedOut67shorty

Re: Easy Disc Brake Question

I drove my 67 with drums and then in the next week i converted to manual disc and i can say it stops alot better than it ever could with drums , and it being so easy to swap and fairly inexpesive compared to kits, just make sure you get the drag link and pitman arm and idler.
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

I just installed a cpp power disc brake/drop kit (Grand Slam). Pretty easy. Havent bled it or tried it out yet. Had to remove the brake pedal assembly so I could drill the new hole 1 inch lower on the pedal arm. Hopefully have it in tomorrow and get it bled. Then I have to get the back end lowered ASAP.
JonnyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
truckster

I've owned most years of Chevy/GMC trucks from 1964 to 1972, so I have a lot of experience with both drums and discs. A properly adjusted drum brake setup will stop almost as well as disc brakes - the first time. But drum brakes fade pretty fast when they get hot, where discs will tolerate a lot more stopping. Removing the need for adjustment and the likelihood of misadjustment is also a benefit.

But if you're going to convert them, why not go all the way and add vacuum boost? It takes much less braking effort and that translates into quicker stops.
truckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
volksworld

converted mine to manual disc in about 1981 when there was no aftermarket stuff available yet...put in the crossmember and all out of a 75 suburban....and hooked it to my existing drum brake master(the piston diameter is the same for drum and disc,the only difference is larger capacity in the resevoir for the calipers...keep an eye on the fluid level and it works fine)....this was on a daily driver tow truck and it stopped fine...i was never a fan of a master/booster in my way in the engine compartment so to this day its still manual(but i did put in a vette-style disc master and prop valve during the resto)
Old 08-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
volksworld

oh and why did i convert it to disc in the first place? cause it was a tow truck and didnt stop worth a damn with a car on the hook....discs are also less prone to lock up than a self-energising shoe design ,dissipate heat better,and "squeegee" water off themselves...just try to stop a drum brake vehicle after you've driven it through a deep puddle!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
rico7769
Hybrid67

great info from everyone. Can't stand the drums and constant fade, adjustment, lack thereof. Great to hear both sides. I think I'm going to roll with the standard conversion with no vac boost for now. I can always go back and add it in the future. So excited to get started!

All show.....no go
rico7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
hotrodder

Smile Re: Easy Disc Brake Question

I have just purchased the disc conversion from cpp and I was also wondering about not going with power.Thanks for the info I think I will leave it manual.
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote