The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
MountainGoat1966

Differential install tips needed.

I'm getting ready to install a fresh differential carrier in the front axle of my 84 K10 with the corporate 10 bolt 8.5"
I am using my existing ring & pinion gears, changing from an open carrier to a limited slip unit.
Mainly because the current carrier has worn out spider gear splines for the axles, and a LS will help with the horrible mud I get here after a storm.
I have all the parts I need including shims and axle tube seals.
I won't be using a differential spreader, so any tips would be appreciated as to how to safely R&R the carrier and not damage the shims or anything else.

"Off the grid and on the seven day weekend plan"

"One person cannot know everything, but between all of us, there isn't much we don't know."
MountainGoat1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
jsavage977

Re: Differential install tips needed.

you will probably need a few big hammers, pry bars, jacks, winches, screwdrivers, more hammers, ect. Or a case spreader ha ha. I was lucky to get mine done so easy on my dana 60. It took a 6ft pry bar to get it out and a 8lb sledge and a block of wood to get it in.
Do a lot of research on the internet about how to use the shims to align the wear patterns because you are using used ring and pinions it will be even harder to correctly line up the wear patterns. mismatched wear patterns will cause your gears to whine, wear out slightly faster and possibly be weaker. SO make sure you get them perfect. Also you will probably want to get your pinion nut loose before you tear the axle apart. Because you will most likely need a 1/2" breaker bar with a 5 ft cheater pipe and all the wd40 you can spare to get it loose. It also might come off easy your first try with the impact gun, you never know.
I would say if you get the pinion nut off and can get the carrier out and back in those would be the hardest things to do.
good luck with it
Old 08-26-2014, 02:13 AM   #3
frank69

kevin u shouldn't have to pull pinion out unless u are changing bearings or seal. I would just change out the carrier and set the backlash, unless its fulltime 4wd.
frank69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Keith Seymore

Agree. If you are just changing the carrier the pinion and associated seals, nuts, etc can stay put.

Make note of how everything comes out, in terms of shim placement, etc.

Since the carrier is a machined part maybe there won't be much difference between the two and everything can go back together (shim placement wise) the way it was. If not it will at least be a good starting point.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Keith Seymore

Also - I assume your front axle is not engaged all the time, so it may be a bit more forgiving than having to have a perfect setup like on a rear axle (which would be engaged all the time, and at high speed).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
MountainGoat1966

It's a part time 4x4, and I mean REALLY part time.
It doesn't get used often, but it's required when I have to drive the 5 miles of deep mud to get to a paved road after a storm.
If the roads are muddy I generally just stay home, but there is the rare occasion I do need to get out and back in.
If I go to cut firewood, I usually put it in 4 low and crawl across country.
So the usage will be very limited, and also will be slow speed.
I bought a shim pack to allow for the possible difference in carriers, even though my existing shims might do fine.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

"Off the grid and on the seven day weekend plan"

"One person cannot know everything, but between all of us, there isn't much we don't know."
MountainGoat1966 is offline   Reply With Quote