The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Domer

shock rebound/compression question

So i have some questions about shocks. I was looking at some Bilstein shocks for my 77 c10. They have compression/rebound numbers, like 7/3, 6/4.. what do they mean, (which is more, which is less) and how do i determine where i should start at? I have a 77 C10 with full frame, bagged, body dropped. I dont have front shocks right now,(custom chest plate and arms), and my rear shocks are mounted on the rear link bars. I have a sbc with a 6-71 blower turning 608hp at the wheels. I have an impala rear end with 3.08 gears right now. This is a cruiser/ freeway play vehicle. doesnt really see track time as the front suspension isnt really setup for carving. but i am running Slam SS8's in the front, and SS7's in the rear on the bar.
Thanks for any help!!
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: shock rebound/compression question

Here is a good article on how shocks work. http://teinusa-blog.com/compression-and-rebound/ The numbers you are looking at are the ratio between the compression and rebound. A bigger number means it is stiffer in that direction. As what shock to run on your application I would start with something with a 60 40 split and stiffer on compression. Just as a guess but it will take some trial and error. Could always try some adjustable shocks to tune the ride.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: shock rebound/compression question

When you start looking at the cost, it's hard not to go with at least a single adjustable shock. Usually you have fixed, single adjustable, and double adjustable.

I put QA1 single adjustables on the front of my ls-swapped 66. It did a better job of controlling the weight, and I can loosen them up to run at the track if I want to. Something like that will run in the $85-150each range, but its infinitely better than even the "higher end" non adjustables in the 35-60$ range.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote