The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Chapstr's65

CPP nitrogen gas shocks fittment issues

Hey has anyone installed the CPP nitrogen gas drop shocks. I went to install my rear 5" drop shocks, which are also used as stock height front shocks, and the bushings don't fit in the stock mounts, neither do the stock bolts fit in the metal sleeve for the bushings.

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this and would shaving the bushing down to make it fit be a bad thing. Also would running them without the metal sleeve be bad. I was thinking I could get smaller bolts.

65 SWB step-side / 383 stroker / TH350 / 4:10 gears / static drop 4 1/2" front 5" rear.
Chapstr's65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: CPP nitrogen gas shocks fittment issues

It is better to have the steel sleeve in the center, but you can install them without them and just a bolt of the correct size. I would use an all steel lock nut and tighten just enough to compress the bushing just a little.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Chapstr's65

Well I can only assume from over the years of tightening these things on the mounts have bent. When I get back home I will try and spread them. I was just frustrated when I was under there fighting them to come off only to see I can't get the new ones on. Stupid exhaust was in the way, the nuts have probably been there for decades so they were a B!+€# to get off.

65 SWB step-side / 383 stroker / TH350 / 4:10 gears / static drop 4 1/2" front 5" rear.
Chapstr's65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
forestb

I put a different set of shocks in mine without the sleeve and it tore up the bushings. mine were a tight fit also.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote