The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #26
Arekusu

Re: Thermostat.

I'm going to put a vote in for timing and air fuel ratio. Having just done this (posted in the build thread) It helped me loose about 15 degrees on my big block.

I didn't see if you just put this truck together or it has been running for a while but you may be running too lean which will cause the higher water temps. So I'd check the initial idle mix after the timing is set then check the jetting to make sure you're right. You could check the plugs or if you had an O2 sensor in the collector you could check the Air fuel that way with a wide band gauge. This is assuming your cooling system is legit , your not running crazy compression, and your cam isn't radical.

My .02

Alex
Arekusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #27
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arekusu View Post
I'm going to put a vote in for timing and air fuel ratio. Having just done this (posted in the build thread) It helped me loose about 15 degrees on my big block.

I didn't see if you just put this truck together or it has been running for a while but you may be running too lean which will cause the higher water temps. So I'd check the initial idle mix after the timing is set then check the jetting to make sure you're right. You could check the plugs or if you had an O2 sensor in the collector you could check the Air fuel that way with a wide band gauge. This is assuming your cooling system is legit , your not running crazy compression, and your cam isn't radical.

My .02

Alex
Stock cam. Not a big HP engine. I am going to check the idle mixture. It was rebuilt 11 years ago. At least that is what I was told. It may not have 1,500 miles on it.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #28
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Fremont View Post
Is that with the vacuum line connected? If so are you using manifold vacuum or "ported" vacuum? If you have manifold vacuum connected and only have 6 degrees advance, then it is way too retarded.
With vac line not connected.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote