The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
1972BlueC20

something is loose when hard accelerating

I've had this issue for a while now when I floor it from a dead stop....something feels loose in the drivetrain (maybe)

My suspicions are motor mounts, trans mounts, u-joints or carrier bearing....LOL

It's hard to describe, but something def isn't right when taking off fast....I think its from the flexing of the engine or driveshaft

Anyone ever experience this or have any ideas??
Old 09-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: something is loose when hard accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BlueC20 View Post
I've had this issue for a while now when I floor it from a dead stop....something feels loose in the drivetrain (maybe)

My suspicions are motor mounts, trans mounts, u-joints or carrier bearing....LOL

It's hard to describe, but something def isn't right when taking off fast....I think its from the flexing of the engine or driveshaft

Anyone ever experience this or have any ideas??
Yes. They are called TIRES. They turn too fast, make screeching noises and lots of white smoke.

Or, perhaps you should check your passenger side motor mount.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
1972BlueC20

LOL @ Fitz

How do you check motor mounts?

Is the passenger side more prone to going bad more so than the drivers side?

Thanks,
Old 09-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
leftybass209

your engine naturally wants to pull, so one easy way (but not foolproof) is to obviously do a visual inspection, but you can also pull your throttle from the carb while watching the engine. I'm not saying it's the best way, but I've been able to find a broken mount like that, albeit, a different vehicle. Best of luck!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
LOL @ Fitz

How do you check motor mounts?

Is the passenger side more prone to going bad more so than the drivers side?

Thanks,
Have a friend or your wife get in the truck and start it. Raise the hood and stand to one side. I like the left side. Have the person in the cab stand on the brake HARD, put it in gear and blip the throttle lightly with the other foot. If the motor rears up, the passenger side motor mount is broken. That's the one that has to fight the engine torque so it usually breaks first. if it's gone be sure to buy both left and right. It's an easy fix but you will likely have to jack up the motor on each side to get the old ones out and the new ones in.

My tires are the clutch that protects the rest of the drivetrain in my truck on hard starts, hence the flippant answer.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
1972BlueC20

hahaha Thanks Fitz!

When jacking up the engine, how do you do one side at a time?

I thought you put a block of wood between the jack and pan and lift up....is this correct?
Old 09-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Put a blcok of wood between the jack and the pan. If you have a busted mount. That side will raise.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
hahaha Thanks Fitz!

When jacking up the engine, how do you do one side at a time?

I thought you put a block of wood between the jack and pan and lift up....is this correct?
Correct! Your method is better than mine. You'll have to release the bolts on both mounts before lifting and all you really need is to get the weight of the engine off the mount, not raise the motor much at all. 1/8th inch should do it. I usually use a pry bar but that can get a bit clumsy if the truck is not on a lift.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
Keith Seymore

Do you have a two piece prop?

Even when new and everything else is fresh/correct some trucks have a "launch shudder" on hard acceleration or heavy loads (like pulling a trailer).

Typically it's right after the vehicle starts rolling and you'll get three to four kicks (might even feel vertical in nature) in the seat and then it goes away.

If that's the case it is pretty much inherent in the driveline design. You could try shimming, going to a one piece, or not accelerating so fast.

We were able to fix some trucks by lengthening the front shaft (moving the center support rearward) and shortening the rear shaft the corresponding amount, but I don't imagine you are able to get into a full fledged vehicle development program.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
1972BlueC20

you mean 2 pc drive shaft?

If so, then yes....I have a 2 pc driveshaft with carrier bearing
Old 09-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
Sklptrljay

I've had two carrier bearings on two different trucks go bad, and that definitely could do what your describing. Have you visually checked it?

I had one where the bearing itself was wobbly, which sounds like maybe what's happening to you. The other one broke the actual mounting plate off, that one was not a subtle noise and/or hard to diagnose. KER-PLUNK-KER-PLUNK-KER-PLUNK-KER-PLUNK!!!

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote