The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
ochoco

72 K20 Drag link end issue

I recently purchased a 69 k10 with supposedly 72 3/4 ton running gear. (though it appears to have a FF corprate 14 rear end) I have had some steering issues and have been going through everything trying to figure them out.

I had changed out a raised TC steering arm for a newer one and when I went to tighten the drag link back to the steering arm it would just spin after getting it as tight as I could. I decided to replace all of the tie rods and all of them changed out fine except for the same one connected to the steering arm.

The MOOG part number for the one I'm having the issue with is ES2026R. It is the longer tie rod connected to the steering arm. I noticed that the tie rod stud seems overly loose in the tapered hole. I also noticed that the tightening issue I was having was because of the fact that the stud is coming down so far in the tapered hole that when I tighten the crown nut it bottoms out on the threads well before being tight enough to do anything.

I went to my local parts store to make sure I had the right part number and even brought the steering arm in as well. They could not find anything that would work.

The TC steering arm is part number 70100 but they only seem to make one so I'm not sure how that could be the issue unless they just don't work for this year of truck.

I'm not sure what I am suppose to get that fits properly. Or do I need to go back to the stock steering arm and get a drop pitman instead? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Below is a picture of the tie rod with me pressing it into the steering arm by hand to give an idea of how easy it comes all of the way through.

ochoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
ochoco

Re: 72 K20 Drag link end issue

Has anyone else run into this issue or similar?
Old 09-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
ochoco

I called Tuff Country to maybe get some insight on the issue. They only make one steering arm and they hadn't heard of the issue I am having.

I then called MOOG and the gentleman on the phone said they do not make a tie rod for a 69 k20. But do for a 71-72. That doesn't make any sense to me because it shouldn't matter as the steering arm from TC is the same for 69-87 so I would think, at least for 69-72, that the drag link tie rod should be the same...
Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 AM   #4
ochoco

Put a heavy lock washer on and it tightened up and torqued fine. Not sure this is the best way to do it but it was all I could come up with.