The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
roadking

Question new crate motor, which pulleys and waterpump

swapping my 71 6cyl. w/P.S. for the gm350 260hp crate motor, gong in the v8 position, not sure what all im going to need as far as long or short waterpump, will my 6cyl. fan pulley work with the v8, do i buy a dampner with pulley grooves already in it? will my 6cyl. Alt. and P.S brackets work on a v8., also any suggestion on running with or without headers on this motor, whats a good reasonable price header that would fit right in. i also will be using a eld. carb. and manifold and putting in a 4 core radiator. any past experience help out there would greatly reduce my trips to the part store and would be much appreciated. THANKS

Last edited by roadking; 01-16-2004 at 08:34 PM.
roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #2
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

SO....
WHAT YEAR TRUCK...
A/C ....????
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
roadking

re-edited 71 c/10 no a/c.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:49 PM   #4
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

well i really have no clue about the 6 cyl pulleys....

but i will get us started here

short water pumps are the stock pump for early trucks....
much easer to find also....
balancers don't come with pulley grooves....

i am thinking your going to need the whole works there buddy

hook up with teeitup....randy....

better yet make a post for 350 non a/c pulleys needed on the parts board
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
TRUCKSRUS
Account Suspended

yea what rage said........
TRUCKSRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:37 PM   #6
roadking

i guess 6 cyl. are designed alittle different as far as the balancer go, my 6 cyl. balancer has the belt grooves in it?
Old 01-17-2004, 12:03 AM   #7
miket

I would go with new parts...call Sallee Chevrolet and talk to their parts department....800-545-0048. The pulleys you can find from a board member....original small block units should work.

Rage n Rat had a great suggestion with the pulley post but buy a new water pump and make sure your radiator is new or very clean along with your heater core.

Evergreen Protective Coatings
Gatorhyde...the best kept secret in spray in bed lining & protection
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:13 AM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You could buy new water pump and crank pulleys as well as alternator brackets at GM dealer if you wanted to. Or, support one of our fine board members by buying them used.

The p/s brackets and pulleys are going to have to be bought used, as they have been discontinued by GM.

The secondary bolt on crankshaft pulley for the power steering is somewhat hard to find. With power steering, there will be two pulleys stacked on top of each other on the crankshaft. I've seen them both cast iron and steel.

The 6 cylinder harmonic balancer is different in that it has the pulley grooves cast right into it. Small block doesn't, it uses bolt on pulleys.

I've done this deal several times, and it can get real tedious. It is much preferred to buy all of the pulleys and brackets as a set from someone.

Personally, I use used parts and bead blast them and coat them with POR15. It gives great results and saves lots of money.

Board member teeitup would be my first contact. He has most everything and is very fair on prices.

On small blocks, I have had good success with Hooker comps and Dynomax headers both. Or, plenty of board members have stock manifolds for sale usually. Day in and out, manifolds will be much less hassle, but, at the expense of a horsepower loss.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:59 AM   #9
tom hand
CCRider

The easiest route would be to leave the motor in the I6 position and use a long waterpump and pullies and brackets. They are much easier to find and really a better design. Then you can use the driveshaft you have now and the only real downfall is an HEI is really tight on the firewall....but it will fit. If you want to go with the V-8 position you need the short waterpump and pullies and get a longer driveshaft. To my knowage nothing off the I6 will fit the V-8. I really don't why Chevy made a different position for the 2wd V-8's...the 4x4 V-8 are back there...

Last edited by tom hand; 01-17-2004 at 01:09 AM.
tom hand is offline   Reply With Quote