The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
savatreatabvr

454 Edelbrock Metered Vacuum Leak? HUH?

I have a Edelbrock 1407 on top my mid 70's 454, the throttle shafts are a little loose and I heard Edelbrock does not have bushings on their throttle shafts! So i called Edelbrock and they said the throttle shafts are loose because of a "FACTORY DESIGNED METERED VACUUM LEAK"! Has anyone heard of this before or do I just have a vacuum leak due to worn out throttle shafts/bushings? I found many articles online on this subject but 50% say yes Edelbrock has bushings and 50% say no!

Personally I think Edelbrock Customer Support is full of Sh-t and I'd like to know before I tear down the carb.
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
MountainGoat1966

Re: 454 Edelbrock Metered Vacuum Leak? HUH?

I'm no expert on the subject, but my logical side says the "factory engineered vacuum leak" is a load of BS.
There is always going to be wear on the throttle shafts if the carburetor is being used, and therefore no possible way to calculate in advance how much wear or how fast, or how it will affect performance.
I have two edelbrocks and neither of them have bushings in them.

"Off the grid and on the seven day weekend plan"

"One person cannot know everything, but between all of us, there isn't much we don't know."
MountainGoat1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
savatreatabvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat1966 View Post
I'm no expert on the subject, but my logical side says the "factory engineered vacuum leak" is a load of BS.
There is always going to be wear on the throttle shafts if the carburetor is being used, and therefore no possible way to calculate in advance how much wear or how fast, or how it will affect performance.
I have two edelbrocks and neither of them have bushings in them.
Yeah, I like the Edelbrock carbs but they're customer support lies, lies, lies! Do you have issues with loose throttle shafts on your Edelbrocks?
Old 09-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
MountainGoat1966

Very small amount of wobble, but probably not enough to concern me until I dig into it further.

But that said, next time I fire up the one with the most slack, I will spray some carb cleaner on it and see if it affects the idle speed.

I do have a rough idle I have not been able to isolate, if that's what's causing it, it will either get bushings machined to fit, or I will go back to a Q-jet.

"One person cannot know everything, but between all of us, there isn't much we don't know."
Old 09-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
MountainGoat1966

I had a sudden gust of ambition and hobbled out to the truck and fired it up, here's my report:

Sprayed carb cleaner at the throttle shaft and base of carb, absolutely no difference, so evidently mine aren't worn enough to matter.

What does your engine do if you do the same thing to it?

Does it either bog down or speed up ?

Old 09-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
savatreatabvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat1966 View Post
I had a sudden gust of ambition and hobbled out to the truck and fired it up, here's my report:

Sprayed carb cleaner at the throttle shaft and base of carb, absolutely no difference, so evidently mine aren't worn enough to matter.

What does your engine do if you do the same thing to it?

Does it either bog down or speed up ?
Doesn't do much of anything, if it does it's so minor I can't tell! You mentioned the good ol Quadrajet, tell you the truth it's my favorite carb! Way to many vacuum ports but a well tuned 800cfm Quadrajet is a great carb! I traded a good one for some Harley jugs a while back, thinking about getting another!