The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
Russell Ashley

Hydramatic tranny question.

Can anyone confirm this? I've been under the impression that hydramatic tranny's didn't have any "park" built into them. I take a magazine called "Hemmings Collector Car" and the subject came up recently and it was mentioned that they had no park. Someone wrote in and said that they did have park. According to them, you switched off the engine and then moved the shifter to the "reverse" position and this put it in park.
Anyone here ever heard this, or have a hydramatic that can try it?
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
DransportGarage

Re: Hydramatic tranny question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Can anyone confirm this? I've been under the impression that hydramatic tranny's didn't have any "park" built into them. I take a magazine called "Hemmings Collector Car" and the subject came up recently and it was mentioned that they had no park. Someone wrote in and said that they did have park. According to them, you switched off the engine and then moved the shifter to the "reverse" position and this put it in park.
Anyone here ever heard this, or have a hydramatic that can try it?
That's what it says in Wikipedia, paragraph 4:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydramatic

I got this info by Googling "hydramatic park".
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
Russell Ashley

Thank you. I should always google something before I ask, LOL.

The magazine article I mentioned above was about a 54 GMC truck with factory Hydramatic and it was mentioned in the article that there was no park. I wonder if the owner even knows he does have a park.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Thank you. I should always google something before I ask, LOL.

The magazine article I mentioned above was about a 54 GMC truck with factory Hydramatic and it was mentioned in the article that there was no park. I wonder if the owner even knows he does have a park.
Good question about owner knowledge. I know how much I don't know about my iPhone. I'm sure there are transmissions now that have software. Imagine how much we don't know about them!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Clay54

When I bought my '54, it had a '49 Cadillac engine and transmission (4 speed). With engine running, shift lever all the way down was reverse. Turn engine off and all the way down was park. How this works in the guts of the transmission I don't have a clue.

I never trusted using the park and always turned my front wheels to the curb where possible. Never had a problem. Clay
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
1project2many

Quote:
I have owned two trucks with this transmission. There is no marked "Park" position. The shifter is marked "N 1-4 1-3 1-2 R" There is no way to command manual 1 only. "Parking Brake" parking is accomplished by placing shifter in R, waiting for trans to engage, then shutting off key. Trans occasionally upshifted on long grades even when 1-3 or 1-2 range was selected. It took some getting used to remembering to select R at the bottom of the quadrant then moving up to 1-4 for driving. Occasionally one would hit N and go Nowhere.

From the manual:
"When the engine is not running, reverse can be used as a parking brake by means of a parking pawl which holds the reverse internal gear. When the engine is running main line oil pressure behind the parking blocker piston will hold the parking pawl clear of the reverse internal gear for normal operation of reverse."

These guys just thought of everything.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1project2many; 05-13-2014 at 07:12 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Adam1957chevy

does anyone still make the small plastic/glass lens/bezel my dad and I have restored an old 1957 chevy step side truck he got when he was 16 but in the process we acedently broke the glass piece
Adam1957chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
Tomb23

Go to your local hardware store get the right thickness of plexiglas. Sand and shape to match the original. Finally make a GOOD TFF picture file of the Shift Pattern and take it to a local trophy Shop That uses a LASER engraver, they can cut the letters, Polish the surface apply white paint into the letters then wipe off (DONE)
Tomb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Tomb23

Wrong year , but here is what they looked like after
Attached Images

Tomb23 is offline   Reply With Quote