The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Buzzman

Rochester electric choke conversion

Wiring question - I'm looking to convert the choke on my '79 from climatic/hot-air to electric.

Seems straightforward on the carb end, but I'm a novice when it comes to wiring. I'd like to wire it directly to the fuse box - has anyone done this and if so, could you point out where exactly on the box I want to be looking?

Finally - and here's where the novice really comes out - how does one insert a wire into the fuse box, exactly? Is there a male plug I can get? Thanks!
Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: Rochester electric choke conversion

I build replacement engine harnesses for these trucks so I can help you out here.

If you are viewing the engine part of the bulkhead straight-on, the electric choke wire is the lower right cavity and GM used a light blue 14ga wire. This serves as an IGN source for the electric choke. Here is a pic showing the correct GM choke connector, the correct terminal for it and the 56-series Packard male terminal you need for the bulkhead connector.....
Attached Images

Last edited by gmachinz; 08-05-2014 at 08:39 PM.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Buzzman

Thanks for the reply! Will my '79 have this cavity even though it was not equipped with elec. choke from the factory? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Yes....its an IGN hot source-GM used this for the electric choke where equipped.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
c3006

I believe the light blue wire is hooked in conjunction with the oil pressure sending unit and is only hot when oil pressure is present.
c3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
gmachinz
Account Suspended

If the truck had a dual wire oil switch, the IGN runs through it and then to the choke. However, if not equipped or if only the electric choke is desired, you can run it direct from that cavity. The reason GM had it running through the oil circuit is so that with key on and engine off it wouldn't energize the choke coil when it wasn't needed, saving battery juice. But again, whichever way works for you.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
Just call me Sean

The pressure switch keeps the choke from opening when the truck isn't running. If you sit there with the key on the choke will open without the pressure switch, then when you go to start it the choke won't work because it already opened.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Yes, that's what I said. But, there really shouldn't be any circumstances where a person would need the key on for that length of time-thats what the ACC is for. On older trucks without an ACC on the column, you'd see a dual wire oil pressure switch unless you had the hot air choke-in that case, the bulkhead cavity is empty.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Yes, that's what I said. But, there really shouldn't be any circumstances where a person would need the key on for that length of time-thats what the ACC is for. On older trucks without an ACC on the column, you'd see a dual wire oil pressure switch unless you had the hot air choke-in that case, the bulkhead cavity is empty.
No, you said it was to save battery juice which is incorrect. It's to allow the choke to work when needed.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
gmachinz
Account Suspended

The reason GM had it running through the oil circuit is so that with key on and engine off it wouldn't energize the choke coil when it wasn't needed, saving battery juice.

Dude, we are saying the same thing here-I simply added that obviously if for some odd reason one were to leave the key "on" among other things to cause a parasitic drain, the choke coil is one of them.

Regardless, to put it simply you can use the cavity as your electric choke circuit since its an IGN source-just don't leave the key on needlessly. Besides, even with the key left on for a few minutes with a hot engine off, the choke will remain open-and if the engine is cold, it still takes a few minutes for the choke to open. So, I would say if you run the choke off an IGN source, be aware of having the key on with engine off.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
Just call me Sean

Just trying to be clear for all to understand. As a person that builds wiring harnesses I find it unusual that somebody else mentioned the switch first instead of you. The factory doesn't usually put unnecessary things on vehicles, so I would have to say it's important.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #12
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Wiring question - I'm looking to convert the choke on my '79 from climatic/hot-air to electric.

Seems straightforward on the carb end, but I'm a novice when it comes to wiring. I'd like to wire it directly to the fuse box - has anyone done this and if so, could you point out where exactly on the box I want to be looking?

Finally - and here's where the novice really comes out - how does one insert a wire into the fuse box, exactly? Is there a male plug I can get? Thanks!
Ok...I understand your concern BUT-refer to the original post-hot air to electric choke, he doesn't have the choke circuit running through his oil switch, so he asked where in the fusebox to run it.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
Just call me Sean

Then if he wants it correct he can get the feed where you said and get the connector, switch and tee and do it right. I just like to offer the right way to do it in case one doesn't know, but your way will work almost correctly.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
MountainGoat1966

Okay, since I live in a cold climate (in the winter only) I need to get in on this thread.
The 83 C20 I recently bought has a Q-jet with no wire hooked up to the choke. I see the connector on the carb where power is applied.
The engine has the single wire oil pressure sender, so I would need to use the blue wire thingy.
The wire might be the one I see hanging loose on the engine. (see pic 1).
I haven't tested it yet to see if it has power when the key is on.
Also I discovered a strange connector laying loose next to it, (see pic 2).
Anybody know what it does and if it's related to anything important I need ?
Also, the two green wires the PO had just wrapped out of the way, what do they do?
Attached Images

"Off the grid and on the seven day weekend plan"

"One person cannot know everything, but between all of us, there isn't much we don't know."
MountainGoat1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
Just call me Sean

Not sure what that connector is, the oil pressure switch is round with two wires. Can't tell what the other wires are for but the a/c compressor does have a green wire to it, but so does the temperature gauge sender.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #16
gmachinz
Account Suspended

You should have (2) oil switches-one for the gauge (typically in the engine block above the oil filter pad, tan in color) and a dual spade switch on the back of the intake. The switch on the intake (for factory V8's) should have a pink w/white stripe coming from the bulkhead connector on one side of the connector-this is your choke/fuse lead, and the other side of the connector should have 2 dk blue leads-one goes to your factory choke, the other goes to your bulkhead connector. I stock the connectors/terminals so PM me if you can't find them.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #17
Buzzman

Update - got the choke on fine yesterday, wired it to the fuse box, 12V key-on power. Everything looks good...
This morning (45 F), fired up fine, but after about 3 min. warm-up in the driveway and a 5 min. drive to work, it never dropped out of fast idle. I didn't touch the fast idle cam yesterday when I installed the choke - should I have payed closer attention to that? I backed the fast idle screw back a quarter turn so we'll se how it goes tomorrow.
Any tips? Thanks!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #18
johnwaynejeep

no real help here, just opinion

Go mechanical choke. It's easier to adjust and always where it needs to be...right where you put it.
Smittybilt front/rear bumper, 10K winch
Pacific Grove, CA
johnwaynejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #19
Buzzman

Haha - thanks for the advice, but I'm not that fed up yet. Damned electric one hasn't been even on there 24 hours... gotta give it a try.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
geezer#99

Lean it down.
Rotate the cap cw for leaner (kicks off sooner).
I adjust mine lean in the summer and richer ccw in the winter.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #21
Buzzman

Thanks, geezer#99, I'll try that tonight and see how it behaves in the morning.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #22
SkinnyG

Make sure you didn't put in the gasket between the old hot air choke thingie and the housing - you need a ground for it to work, and the gasket insulates from ground.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #23
Dead Parrot

Green wires in that area are usually either AC related or a temp sender wire. If AC could either be for the compressor or the idle solenoid. The temp sender usually goes down on the drivers side head. Even if it doesn't now have AC, it is possible the PO removed it when they replaced the engine.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote