The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #1
playinsafe44

3600 Power Steering

Has anyone installed power steering in a 47-54 3600 (3/4 ton)? I'm looking for options for to convert a '50 3600. I will be using the stock front end, stock column, 235 engine, and I want to keep it a truck, as this one gets used. I'm concerned with getting negative results like alignment issues, excessive bump steer, numb feeling, turning radius, etc... Any advice?
playinsafe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 3600 Power Steering

We just did this very conversion on a 3800 and it works nicely
We used an old style power assisted ram steering from a 68 Chevy truck. Corvette used the same type of system and control valve from 60's to the 80's. There are modifications that need to be done but you can use the stock steering box.

You will need to taper the Pittman arm hole and the upper steering arm hole to accept a taper from the rod end and the control valve.
The Rod end was from a Jeep and we made the center link from the control to the rod end. The center link is a 1-1/16-18 external thread on the control end and I think 3/4-18 internal on the rod end.
You also need to make some type of tie-rod clamp for the cylinder push rod and an anchor at the spring. For the anchor make a part that looks like the lower shock mount and put a taper in the third hole for the ram taper.

We converted the steering box to a standalone unit by putting a bearing in the top housing that way we could use any column we wanted.

With exception to the center rod all the parts can be purchase at a parts store or online. The rod link and the upper housing bearing need to be done on a lathe.

This setup almost makes it one finger steering.
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
playinsafe44

I like that setup you have. To be honest, it doesn't look like a very simple conversion, and I think I would need more detailed information (step-by-step) to do a conversion like that. Maybe it just looks more complicated than it really is, but I don't have access to any machining tools and I wouldn't know where to start.

Does anyone have experience using something like this?

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=PSC4759

or this?

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=PSRP059
playinsafe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
nvrdone

I'm looking at using a p/s box out of an early Toyota Land Cruser 4x4.
The plan is to mount the box forward by the radiator support with the drag link running back to the pitman arm. The drag link would be longer than stock which would help eliminate bump steering.
I haven't tried mocking this up yet - its still in the thought process.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

check out chevyps.com and see if he can make one for a AD truck, the only difference is the drag link length and its actually easier than the brothers kit and doesn't change the turning radius. Toyota box is a choice but the Pittman arm needs to be longer on a 3600 and 3800 so you would have to fab that up. The brothers kit rubs on the drag link on tire when you turn right. This ram assist kit is more bolt on that it looks
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
yossarian19

I'd get my hands on a reman Chevy half-ton steering box from the 80s (I think the truck itself weighed more than 1/4 ton more, so it's up for use in a 50s 3/4 I'd think) or whenever and start looking at where it will fit.
Having used a PS conversion kit on my 57, all I can say is that it isn't quite rocket science.
You have to compromise input shaft angle (you need to connect it to the column via u joints) and pitman arm travel (flatter is, I think, better).
The drag link, from box to steering arm, wants to be as long and flat as it can be. This minimizes bump steer. Ideally, it would run from either the shackle end or the pivot end to the steering arm (which would be centered at the kingpin boss) but you'll notice that no kits really quite nail this.
Also, if you can weld you don't need to rely on off the shelf steering arm solutions. I saw one made out of 1/2" ID heavy wall tubing & some 1/2" plate, welded both sides & drilled for a Heim joint. It was steering the front of a 6BT equipped rat rod pretty happily.
I wouldn't tear down your working front end just yet, but maybe get a box that will work for you and start eyeballing things.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote