The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Seventy468
almost scrap

HEI plug wires

Hello, I am switching a points style to HEI distributor in a 72 chevy SBC 350 with factory exhaust manifold and was looking for best plug wires for this swap.. anyone have any input? (by best I mean length wise, because the current wires were routed behind the block and up through the motor mounts to the four front cylinders, and the rear looked pretty normal length wise, but the front four appear to need to be longer than normal) any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Seventy468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Seventy468
almost scrap

Re: HEI plug wires

** I did do a quick search on the forum with no immediate results... if I over looked it please give me keywords to search for... i have no problem doing some digging.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Look up spark pug wires for a 1978 Corvette. They will be for an HEI set up and be the proper length to route correctly behind the manifolds and up from the back like the factory ones do.

Just so you are aware, most aftermarket plug wires you buy are a little bit on the long side, meaning you will have some excess wire when they are routed correctly.

Another option is to make your own with the correct crimper.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Seventy468
almost scrap

Just the info I was looking for, thank you TBONE.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
Seventy468
almost scrap

After purchasing and attempting to install, wouldn't these wires do better with a straight boot instead of the 90? I cant believe how awkward those manifolds make routing the wires.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy468 View Post
After purchasing and attempting to install, wouldn't these wires do better with a straight boot instead of the 90? I cant believe how awkward those manifolds make routing the wires.

I know they are a pin to install. The 90 is better to keep the wires close to the block as they run back. Do you have all of the factory ignition wire looms/holders? They will also help keep everything in place.

You are lucky it is not a 78 Corvette you are actually putting these wires on

When you are finished, your effort will show and you won't have spark plug wires hanging out all over like spaghetti.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
FirstOwner69

Quote:
To clarify...
The way you describe the wire routing in your original post is the way the factory routed them and the way the Corvette wires fit. Hence, the 90 degree boots.
FirstOwner69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #8
Seventy468
almost scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
You are lucky it is not a 78 Corvette you are actually putting these wires on
I believe that. I found one wire out of that set is pretty tight, so I may purchase another set today and piece it together so they're routed the correct way, and yes the engine does have all the correct wire holders routing them down and under the manifolds.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
OhioDan

Here's the way I routed mine. Same route as point distributor.Around rear of engine, and between motor mount and block. Factory wire holders work great. Got my holders from GMCPaul, but most vendors should have them. Used plug wires for 1975 Corvette, 350 with HEI ign, and rams horn exh. They changed exh. manifolds after 75.
Attached Images

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Seventy468
almost scrap

Thanks for the additional info OhioDan, using autozones website, the wires (bosch) come up the same for 78/75 vette. Granted I know autozone isn't always the most accurate, I am going to look around, maybe check Napa out see if they're any different. Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
Lee H

Quote:
Thanks for the additional info OhioDan, using autozones website, the wires (bosch) come up the same for 78/75 vette. Granted I know autozone isn't always the most accurate, I am going to look around, maybe check Napa out see if they're any different. Thanks again.
Don't know about the Bosch numbers but the ACDELCO & MSD part numbers are the same for 1975 - 1982 Corvette. There is a dance to get the wires in the right location on a vette and may not fit exactly right if not routed correctly or using the factory vette looms. I, like lots of others, buy bulk and make my own. A little spendy out of the gate but very cost effective as replacements are needed. If your running headers you will need to replace a few wires in time.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Seventy468
almost scrap

I looked into that.. best place to buy in bulk.. summit/jegs.. or is there somewhere else to pick that stuff up.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
I looked into that.. best place to buy in bulk.. summit/jegs.. or is there somewhere else to pick that stuff up.

A couple of thoughts. You will want to get 7 mm as they are designed to fit into the looms. 8 mm will not fit and you can damage the wire insulator by trying to force them in.

Many good quality manufactures such as MSD, Accell, Magnecor. The most important part of make your own sets is the crimper. Get yourself a nice $50.00 crimper or borrow one to do this. It make the job so much nicer.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #14
Seventy468
almost scrap

well i put my big girl panties on, had me a snickers, and then went back at it, and the truck runs better than it did before. I have some fine tuning to do but overall much happier with the HEI swap. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions/help.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
thelawdoc

I spoke with the folks at Magnecor. They are pretty vehement in urging that one not use a cheap crimper for their wires. They consider a $50 crimper to be cheap and say that we either use the one they sell, or buy another of the same quality. Their web site also talks about this issue a bit. The crimper they say their wires call for is about $300 or so. I let them do my wires.
thelawdoc is offline   Reply With Quote