The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
bigorange1970

wanting to use headers

My name is kyle ..I have a 1970 c10... it has a stock 350 with 3 speed on the column... I am currently running ram horn manifolds... the truck was originally a straight 6.. I was thinking of running headman headers from lmc truck... I put all new exhaust on last year .. I wanted to know if headers will fit and what are pros and cons of them thanks
bigorange1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
DreamRyder1963

Re: wanting to use headers

I have Hedman headers on my truck. The only issue I had was the driver side hit the clutch linkage (3-speed on floor) so I got a new z ball and moved it back an inch. The ones I got had the ball socket flange at the collector which is great because I don't have to worry about leaks. I got mine from summit btw.
http://www.dracoautodesigns.com/
DreamRyder1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
DreamRyder1963

I just noticed that you originally had a straight six. Did you do the swap?
Old 09-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
bigorange1970

Dream ryder do you have a pic of your setup ? I didnt do the swap the po did and a poor job at that had alot of issues all good now though
Old 09-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
BRL

Just My $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigorange1970 View Post
...I wanted to know if headers will fit and what are pros and cons of them thanks
Took out the original 250-6 3OTT and did a 350/350 swap.

Think I got the headers from Shuck's at the time, and the benefit of getting them from your local parts store is that if they don't fit to your satisfaction you can return them for a different part # without paying return shipping, waiting etc.

On the positive side: they shave a lot of weight off of the front end and of course they flow better for increased performance and economy.

On the negative side: I haven't found a high temperature paint yet that will keep those dang things from eventually rusting. (ceramic coating is awe$ome!)

They also like to leak and the bolts like to come loose sometimes, but I cut the pads in between the ports and used copper gaskets with copper silicone sealant on the head & collectors to ensure the greatest chance of a good long lasting seal, and in the last 15 or so years that I have run them I've never had to tighten the bolts and they sound great!

Notice that I used a typical header bolt on one side of the #1 cylinder because I couldn't get the Allen wrench in that tight tube bend.

Also got a good deal at (what is now O'Reilly's) on a spare set that was on sale, but have never had to use them.

The spare set does make a cool garage trophy rack though!

Last edited by BRL; 09-14-2014 at 07:57 PM.
BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
DreamRyder1963

I have the same issue with surface rust. I wish I had sprung for the ceramic coating. I am thinking about wrapping mine. This is the only pic I have at the moment. I can get one tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
mechanicalman

You are doing the right thing using a name brand header, fit-wise. I think Hedman is the third best fitting headers made, Hooker second, and if it really really positively must fit absolutely get Doug's headers. $$$$$$$$ IMHO

IF you have factory A/C, Hooker makes the only header bracket that fits that I know of. I have Hooker Ceramics with Hooker A/C bracket on factory original A/C.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
bigorange1970

I have no ac I guess my biggest concern is fitting with the zbar and leaking and bolts coming loose.. I know headers would get some more power and better sound thats what I was going for... I was thinking of using a starter wrap and for plug wires to protect from heat maybe some vht paint on headers
Old 09-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
bigorange1970

They come painted black
Old 09-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
mechanicalman

Quote:
I have no ac I guess my biggest concern is fitting with the zbar and leaking and bolts coming loose.. I know headers would get some more power and better sound thats what I was going for... I was thinking of using a starter wrap and for plug wires to protect from heat maybe some vht paint on headers
The black paint that comes on the headers is for shipping only and will burn off the first time you start your engine, unless something different is specified for what you are buying.

VHT paint works, only if you cure it as per the instructions, like in an oven. Well unless you own an industrial size oven I doubt that is an option, unless you own a pizza parlor.

About 30 years ago when I was a bachelor, I painted my ram's horns and cured them in my oven in my kitchen just following the directions on the can; they were still white when I took them off a couple years ago and went with the headers. Check out this link and read what others have experienced.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ex...questions.html

Last edited by mechanicalman; 09-14-2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: omission
Old 09-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
mechanicalman

Quote:
Regardless what headers you use, get premium gaskets like copper embossed or MLS (multi layer steel), and re-torque them after about a week and then about once a year. You won't appreciate spending the extra money, but if you get cheap gaskets you won't appreciate the PIA and the fact that then you are buying the expensive gaskets anyway.

High temp wires, with red silicone boots have always worked for me no problems just get good looms and keep them off the headers. Black silicone boots have always burned through on me.

Smaller gear reduction starters are lighter, have more torque, take less juice, give more clearance, and thus stay farther away from the heat. Some even come with heat shields, and the prices are within reason.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 09-14-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: add-on
Old 09-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
bigorange1970

Thanks all appreciate the help