The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
yossarian19

TRE part numbers request

I've got the CPP Saginaw power steering conversion on my '57 and have no idea what the application or part number for the drag link ends are.
Ditto the replacement tie rod ends that are about 7/8 female thread.
If anyone knows what application to ask for at NAPA, that would be great. I'm really tired of being gouged for low-quality parts from the hot rod retailers online.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: TRE part numbers request

When I set up my first franken steering (stock box, 74 4wd front axle) I had to figure out a similar problem. Local MOOG jobber figured it out using a caliper and protractor to measure size and cone angle, he had a reverse engineering catalog. If you have a real auto store or shop in your town they might be able to help. I looked at MOOGs site for a moment, but everything seems to be application driven. You might try and figure out the size yourself and give their tech line a call. I suspect CCP, etc. are using pretty common and available parts.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
yossarian19

For the drag link they used ES 416 R & ES 416 L. Both are Ford half-ton parts.
Still don't know about the tie rod but I'm thinking it makes as much sense as anything to buy or build different steering arms & tie rod w/ tapered studs if I ever need a replacement.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
Old Crow

Not sure if it helps, but on the drop axle kit I got from Sid's, the tie rod ends were the same as the drag link ends.
I'd take the drag link and tie rod with me to NAPA and try Yossarian's numbers in both parts.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
OrrieG

That makes sense. When I did the first one to get one that would work with the 74 drag link thread size and stock 59 pitman arm cone configuration we ended up with a 1980 GM 1 ton van tie-rod end, that was in 1985. I still have it up in my "just in case" parts box. If you can figure out the ends, the link itself is not a big deal any machine shop can thread up some high strength rod for you.

And you are right about local vs OL parts providers. A lot of people assume that old means obsolete or hard to get. They forget GM engineered many parts once for use across all lines and did not change for many years. Because of that many of the common parts are still available at NAPA or other local jobbers. Other manufacturers (like Studebaker and International) also used GM parts. And third parties like Spicer supplied parts to GM, Ford, Chrysler and anyone else that showed up at the door with cash.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
nvrdone

on my '49 I used 920535 & 921317 left & right ends for the drag link& tie rod
These are napa #'s. Hope this helps
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote