The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2004, 04:54 AM   #1
aliencheyenne

Seat Belt Conversion

Great site! Just got my 73 C20 a few days ago and want to convert it to a shoulder seat belt setup. Wondered if there is an anchor point on my cab? Can I use a donor...year? If anyone can point me in the right direction, it owuld be appreciated.
aliencheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:40 AM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Yes there is...at least my 73 has them.

I always wondered why they put them there and didn't use them until the mid 70's. I think 3 point belts weren't used until 76.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:52 AM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I think there is an anchor behund the plug on the B-pillar. I never pried mine loose, but there is a plug.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Yep all of them have this provision. Reason they didn't use them earlier is because it wasn't government mandated till '76 as far as I can tell.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:04 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Was it an option on the early years? I thought someone posted that a while back that it was an option. I guess if I weren't being lazy I could check my brochures...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:31 AM   #6
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

It must have been an option. Is there a plug in the interior trim? My 73 didn't have any of that either, so I just saw the cover in the metal. I ended up plugging the hole on the 85 interior parts I put in the truck, much easier than trying to match the seatbelts to the interior color I picked.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:51 AM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Yes, shoulder belts were options from 67/68 till mid/late 70's when the feds mandated it on trucks. If you are not aware the earlier shoulder belts were just like a lap belt that went over your shoulder. Not real greeat in my opinion. I put ones from an extended cab C1500 (93-96). They bolt into stock locations and work smoother than the stock setups of any of those years. You have to use the extended cab model though, the reg cab belst use a different mounting that won't match the stock holes.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 09:58 AM   #8
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy
It must have been an option. Is there a plug in the interior trim? My 73 didn't have any of that either, so I just saw the cover in the metal. I ended up plugging the hole on the 85 interior parts I put in the truck, much easier than trying to match the seatbelts to the interior color I picked.
Yep it was an option. They did not have recoil. Just manual adjusted so once it was on you couldn't lean foward (no wonder they were never used). If you wanted them you just bolted it to the wall and it had a peice the lap belt buckle slipped though.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:08 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Hey, I remembered a usefull truck fact. I'm not loosing it after all....
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 12:20 PM   #10
KShortell

My recollection is that many vehicles were required to have the provision for 3-point belts, but not the belts themselves. The rear seats in cars, for example, had the anchor points in the late 60's (?)and for sure into the 1970s and 80's, but not the 3-point seat belts themselves-- lap belts only. It's possible that the regulations of the day made a similar provision for the trucks-- not mandated as standard equipment, but to have the provision for them either as an option or an aftermarket add-on.

Even my 1986 Suburban has anchor points underneath the pillar trim for 3-point belts in the rear (2nd row) seating, but only the stock factory lap belts installed.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:59 PM   #11
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShortell
My recollection is that many vehicles were required to have the provision for 3-point belts, but not the belts themselves. The rear seats in cars, for example, had the anchor points in the late 60's (?)and for sure into the 1970s and 80's, but not the 3-point seat belts themselves-- lap belts only. It's possible that the regulations of the day made a similar provision for the trucks-- not mandated as standard equipment, but to have the provision for them either as an option or an aftermarket add-on.

Even my 1986 Suburban has anchor points underneath the pillar trim for 3-point belts in the rear (2nd row) seating, but only the stock factory lap belts installed.

Meets europeon standards.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
jtinpdx

Re: Seat Belt Conversion

Hi All,
I bought the 3 point shoulder belts from LMC and am about to install in my 71 C10. To get access the floor bolts, do I just need to brute force the plastic housing up from the stock lap belts? Is there a trick?

Thanks!
jtinpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #13
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

It should unscrew....but some brute persuasion may also be needed.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #14
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShortell View Post

At one time I knew the dates for this stuff, but for passenger cars, the provision for front AND rear shoulder belt anchor points has been there since the late 60's, maybe 1970. I don't have them, but rear shoulder belts for my Nova was a $17 option. Having had the interior out of it, I can confirm that there is a threaded anchor point for rear shoulder belts in the car. I have never seen a pre-mandated domestic car with rear shoulder belts though.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote