The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
Suburban_Tyler

Question Not sure what to do here.

I bought these lift spindles to do the 2wd lift. I'm not sure what to do with the drivers side one. The upper ball joint hole isn't quite centered, but I think shims with the upper control arm can correct it. The tie rod hole is my concern. I want to do like this guy ( http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447061 ) did buy re-drilling the taper from the top to keep the steering geometry closer to stock. I'm afraid if I re-drill this that I am really going to be getting close to the danger zone. From the above thread he removed a 1/4" of material from the top side due to the stock tie rod being larger than the 88-98 tie rod plus the taper going the other direction. I feel that if I re-drill the hole for the taper that and run with that I might hit something and bust it out or fracture the spindle where the tie rod is bolted. I'm not sure what kind of stress the steering is under with normal driving and how it's effected when I hit bumps, pot holes, ect. I don't know if I should try to send it back or have it welded up solid with a cast iron rod and re-drilled. I bought them off of Ebay. They are a chassis tech part. I've heard that their customer service sucks, but I haven't tried getting a hold of them yet. The passenger side spindle is centered on all of the holes.

top side

bottom side

ball joint

Suburban_Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
79 silverado
Account Suspended

Re: Not sure what to do here.

You answered your own question in a way.

You bought it off ebay. Buyer protection says that if its not as described then you get a full refund. Clearly an off-center missdrilled hole is "not as described" unless they included the defective nature of the part in their listing.

Give you all the power in the world as far as having it made right in my opinion.
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
mgchevyparts

The spindle may not be defective. Being castings they can very in shape. But for what you want to do you should start with one that is closer to center, just call them and ask if you send the one back could they send one that is centered.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
Suburban_Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgchevyparts View Post
The spindle may not be defective. Being castings they can very in shape. But for what you want to do you should start with one that is closer to center, just call them and ask if you send the one back could they send one that is centered.
I kinda figured castings varied to some degree and they may have a jig set up for the holes and that's how it ended up the way it is.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:30 PM   #5
Suburban_Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 silverado View Post
You answered your own question in a way.

You bought it off ebay. Buyer protection says that if its not as described then you get a full refund. Clearly an off-center missdrilled hole is "not as described" unless they included the defective nature of the part in their listing.

Give you all the power in the world as far as having it made right in my opinion.
I emailed the guy to see what can be done. Hopefully he will send me a new spindle with a return packing label.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:25 AM   #6
Suburban_Tyler

I got an email from the guy and all he wanted to do was refund my money. I ended up using them. Not to any surprise the drivers side wouldn't get to spec. With all the the shims out and the (please forgive me on the name) half circled spacer that sits in the indention on the control arm shaft out the best it got was 1.6* on camber. 1.2* was maximum. I don't know if they may come in spec on somebody else's vehicle but I will probably order a different set of a different brand, try again and sell the current set. We ended up putting the passenger side out to 1.4* just so it wouldn't pull to the left. It doesn't look horrible but if you look straight down the side of it you can kinda see the tops of the tires sticking out.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
bdiamond

If you don't mind pouring more money into them you could have a machine shop slug and redrill it. A lot of trouble to fix a defective part, but possible.
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote