The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
CharlieSheen

Underfloor Hydroboost on a '53 AD truck?

I have a '53 GMC cab that I will be installing on a running 2006,3500,12,000lb dually truck chassis.I'm going to get the cab into the shop and start work on the restoration of it,but I need to figure out and plan how everything is going to lay out before I get started on that.I have been making decisions on how I want to do many things on the build,now I need to figure
on how to run the hydroboost.

My '53 cab is in decent shape,I have to do some cab corner and floor repair.It is from a fire truck,still has the FD lettering on it.I never had the frame,and don't know the story of how it became un-attached from it's frame.Yes,it is a 2-ton.Hood and nose and fenders are really sound.Truck won't have a pickup bed,it will have a fabbed service body for work,about 12 feet long.

The cab,when it was removed from the chassis,I guess was done in a rush,Steering shaft was lopped off,clutch and brake linkages torched.So guys,I have little knowledge of what the running gear or accessories were or how they functioned,this is the first AD I have ever been around.

Anyhow,getting back to the matter,I want to run the hydroboost under the floor,with whatever bracketry and linkages are necessary.Now,I can't run the typical frame attached pedal as many do,because the frame on the '06 widens under the cab,unlike an old truck.With the narrow cab of the '53,the frame will sit a couple of inches inside of the rockers,I'll put up some rough measurements when I get them.In back of the cab,the frame narrows to the typical 34",I believe.

This project is going to get a LOT of fabrication and welding,all within my means.

So,I guess my question is,does anyone have any advice or photos of underfloor hydroboost in an AD truck? I see some really nice installs by the 55-59 guys here.

By necessity I am completely forgetting about however the cab was originally mounted.I am going to construct a cab sub-frame as part of the cab and fab chassis mounts as necessary.I probably will mount the hydroboost assembly to this sub-frame,so some planning will go into that.I should have room under there,however,the 3500 has front torsion bars that run just inside of the frame rails,that I have to plan for.Remember,the frame is about a foot wider under the cab than a '53 was,though.

I see that there are some suppliers of underfloor booster mounts and pedals for 47-54 Chevy,but it is difficult to tell if it is just Chinese junk I would end up hacking up anyhow,so if anyone has done any underfloor hydroboost,or other booster,please let me know,thanks.

Last edited by CharlieSheen; 09-21-2014 at 09:30 AM.
CharlieSheen is offline   Reply With Quote