The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Berndtc426

Serial numbers???

I recently bought a 1947 (I think) chevy 2 ton pickup. It was a really good deal since the previous owner lost the pink slip and has been out of dmv for over 10 years. I wanted to get it registered and have the vin/serial number from the cab, but the CHP says they need two vin numbers. I can not find another vin anywhere. Doing some research I found that pre 1955 there were no vins stamped on the frame. Of course the engine has been swapped for a newer engine too. Is there anywhere else I can find a vin to show the CHP?
Berndtc426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Serial numbers???

No, some state used the engine number, some assigned a vin.
Getting a title for an AD truck with no title in CA has been discussed in detail in the past six months. Use the search box at the top, click 67 box and use CA title as the search term and it will come up. Do not spend a dime on the truck until you have a title in hand.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

options are find the old motor and use that number or find a title or the last registration slip. try a different chp officer and explain your situation of only having one number in that year. You can't be the only one this has happened to.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
mgchevyparts

Go back to DMV, there may be an alternative method to register it, maybe a "blue tag" is in order, or a statement of facts"(lost pink) from previous owner. Explore the options with DMV not CHP.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Berndtc426

The DMV is the one that sent me to the Chp. It seemed like I knew more about tue vin then the dmv. When I gave them the 8 digits they told me that wasn't enough numbers. So...they don't know that much.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
crossfire84

You could try this,www.its-titles.com
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
mphudak

not much to add for 2nd vin, but suspect the person at DMV is use to dealing with modern VINS, which have 17 digits. Go to another DMV or another DMV clerk/agent. IIRC VIN's have 17 digits, anything else is a serial number.
mphudak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
CaliforniaDaddy

Gosh I need to do the same thing for mine. I got "bill of Sale" the truck came from Wyoming
Old 09-21-2014, 12:08 AM   #9
mgchevyparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndtc426 View Post
The DMV is the one that sent me to the Chp. It seemed like I knew more about tue vin then the dmv. When I gave them the 8 digits they told me that wasn't enough numbers. So...they don't know that much.
I understand but they sent you to CHP based on the type of registration process you may have mentioned, there can be alternative ways but they don't take the time to explore options. If you went in asking to do it a certain way based on what you know they will just continue along that request. This time ask someone based on what docs you have to tell you what the registration possibilities/alternatives are.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:23 AM   #10
Berndtc426

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgchevyparts View Post
I understand but they sent you to CHP based on the type of registration process you may have mentioned, there can be alternative ways but they don't take the time to explore options. If you went in asking to do it a certain way based on what you know they will just continue along that request. This time ask someone based on what docs you have to tell you what the registration possibilities/alternatives are.
When I went in I asked how I would go about registering a truck when all I have is the vin number. Granted I should have said serial number...not sure if that would have produced a different answer. Then was told I needed to have the CHP look at it. I'm going to try the website suggested earlier and see what they have to say.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:58 AM   #11
mgchevyparts

I guess what I am saying is that DMV will send you off on a bunny trail, sometimes there's a different trail that might yield different results. They are good at not being helpful. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
gag1025

I had the original vin (ID) plate on the inside of the door jam. There was not one to be found on the frame. They used the door plate and since a 350 Chevy engine was installed they used that number as well. Now in transporting the cab to be painted during the off frame resto I lost the original VIN (ID) plate. I called and the DMV guy said for me to drive it up there when we finish it and he will reassign another VIN (ID) no. since I already had the title. For me to bring the title and my insurance card.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
Berndtc426

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag1025 View Post
I had the original vin (ID) plate on the inside of the door jam. There was not one to be found on the frame. They used the door plate and since a 350 Chevy engine was installed they used that number as well. Now in transporting the cab to be painted during the off frame resto I lost the original VIN (ID) plate. I called and the DMV guy said for me to drive it up there when we finish it and he will reassign another VIN (ID) no. since I already had the title. For me to bring the title and my insurance card.
There are reproduction plates that you can get from classic parts. Then you stamp the serial number in it yourself.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
gag1025

Edited by Forum Staff
Illegal activity can not be promoted on this site.

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 09-22-2014 at 10:27 AM.
gag1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #15
gag1025

The DMV guy I talked to was very helpful and also told me that he looked forward to seeing my finished truck.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
mgchevyparts

If I'm reading this right you have to get the VIN verification because of the ten year lapse. CHP was looking for 2 VIN's, is your engine block pad clean? Stamp the serial number on it for the second spot. Or verify that there is no second location with CHP.
I was looking at a 50 something Chevy car (all original) and the tag serial number did not match the pink but the matching number was the numbers on the original engine block, there was no second place. You don't have to go to the CHP office for the VIN verification, if you have a friend in law enforcement he can do it for you and I believe there are private business' that do this also. I believe auto club provides this service as well. The friend would be the best bet.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #17
Berndtc426

From what I've researched the number on the engine was used on the pink slip, not the serial number on the cab. My problem is that the engine was replaced with a newer engine and i wanted to register the truck with the serial number on the cab. Chp wants to see two of the same numbers but I don't have that.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #18
mgchevyparts

There is another process for them to assign a new VIN, called a blue tag. This is no different from when a VIN tag falls off and is loss, CHP attaches a new blue tag after verifying it is not a stolen vehicle. If the vehicle was never manufactured with a "second" stamping then they can't require it, newer vehicles do have additional VIN stamps on frame. Are you certain there is not a partial VIN stamped somewhere on the frame? Ask DMV about the original engine is missing so there is no VIN and you need to have a new one assigned.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #19
mgchevyparts

For what it's worth my 1954 pu has the serial number on the original body tag as the VIN on my pink, it has a 350 in it also. My 1937 Ford has a tag that someone stamped and riveted to the body as the VIN on the pink.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:59 AM   #20
Berndtc426

So it sounds like it can be done from what you're telling me, I just need to figure out the right questions.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #21
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

These types of threads rarely last long. They get locked when discussions turn to ways to skirt the law. Keep in mind; this is a discussion of "legal" ways to help the OP.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote