The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
CharlieSheen

Best Brake Pedal Setup For Big Guys?

I'm building a frame-off '53.I still have not firmed up the brake pedal and brake location decisions.I believe I will go with an under floor hydroboost at this point.
For some reason,at first I was opposed to a through-the- floor pedal setup,as I did not think I could boot/seal it properly,but I believe I can deal with that now.

I guess the first thing I have to consider is comfort and driveability as I am well over 6' tall and will use the truck as a daily driver. I need as much leg room as possible,and the brake pedal as far forward as possible.I will run an automatic transmission,so no clutch pedal.

I could go either way as far as hanging pedals or through the floor at this point,but it is getting a little more clear that through-the -floor might be the hot setup.

Let me know how you guys have maximized your leg room regarding brakes,thanks.
CharlieSheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Best Brake Pedal Setup For Big Guys?

Chevy produced millions of trucks with the brake and clutch pedals thru the floor. Unless someone torched them the stock brackets for retaining the fiber seals should still be there. Looking up under my dash I don't know where I could mount a pedal bracket with the wiper, a/c and additional electrical. I also wanted to keep the upper fire wall clean.

I'm a short guy 5'6" on a good day, about all you big guys can do is get skinner seats, shorter steering columns or do like some have to extend the cab and doors. You may gain a few inches by moving the tank from behind the seat, but my seats are just 1/2" away from the back of the cab and I am using a relatively short column. Here is the mock up photo, I raised my seat so my elbow rests comfortably on the door sill (tape). Seat is 07 Yukon third row, column 82 Eldo tilt/tele.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
nvrdone

On my '49 my pedals are thru the floor.
I shortened the brake pedal rod to match the clutch pedal length & re welded the pad on.
It's worked great for 30 + years. I also used the factory seals. Im 6'3 on a bad day
nvrdone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
whitedog76

Ever think about a Wilwood setup?

Try this link
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...n/viewall.html
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
Scottshotrods

You can look at our Under the dash pedal assy that will mount the master booster or your hydro boost under the dash at a 90 degree angle.This will give you some more room
www.scottshotrods.com

Justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
CharlieSheen

Justin,that might come in handy,but for this one I also want to conserve inside firewall space for ducting,wiring and fuse panel,etc.
CharlieSheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
Scottshotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieSheen View Post
Justin,that might come in handy,but for this one I also want to conserve inside firewall space for ducting,wiring and fuse panel,etc.
Some info for you on your truck our under the dash pedal assy will allow for a AC kit to fit in there and a wiring kit and a wiper motor kit under the dash no problems at all

Justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote